Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Windscreens (Opinions?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Default Windscreens (Opinions?)

I need a windscreen for my 2000 JXi, plain and simple. I live in Texas, which means we have a long Conv. season, but it's still not enough. And, eventhough the A/C in these cars are great, when there is a 75mph wind blowing it back against the windshield, you can't feel it! It get's hot here!Not to mention, I take a bit of a loss in MPGs with the top down due to the higher drag from that big parachute they call a rear seat... And my g/f loves having the top down, but hates that she can't see through her hair when it is... I need a windscreen...

I've seen the factory ones, and, quite honestly, I'm not impressed... They just don't do it for me. And those little plexiglass pieces you put on the headrests? Maybe if this was a true two-seater and had a roll bar (i.e. - Crossfire), but not my 4-seater...How would you recline the seats? Naw... Don't want those either...

Back in March, I saw the one I wanted oneBay. It was vinyl, andcovered the whole rear seat andmade the car look like a two-seater really. It was more like a toneau cover than a windscreen. It sat down inside the car, and because it was solid, all the wind went right over the back. Also, it could be fastened to the floor, turning your rear seat into a second trunk of sorts. There was nothing sticking above the body line, so the car's appearance was not distorted, and it was easy to remove and store in the trunk if you needed to rear seat for passengers...What happened to those? I have not seen one since...

I've considered trying to make my own even... But, I guess I could go with theOEM style for now... How well do they work? How much do they obstruct your view?And do you have to drill into the door panels like you do for the 01+s?

If you've seen any other different styles, please, let me know...

Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Default RE: Windscreens (Opinions?)

I have the oem type. Have used it a few times and it works pretty well. Also provides some shade for the dog. But it is a PITA to get in and out of the trunk, and eats up some space.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:12 PM

How does it attach? Does it require any drilling or anything? I really don't want to tear up the car...

Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 AM

2 small holes in either inner quarterpanel near the door for the brackets. These are very small. Basically just a little slot for the ends of the main bar. There is the screen portion that is attached to the bar that stands up behind the headrests and then a piece of vinyl that stretchs back to the rear seatback. There are also some tension straps that make that fabric tighter so it won't ruffle during driving. The end of the fabric is like the boot. There is a couple of tabs that slip between the back of the rear seatback and the frame where it is attached.