Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

'06 300 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Default '06 300 Limited

Hello everybody,
I have an '06 300 Limited with a 3.5 with 100,000 miles. The car as it accelerates, reaches between 40 and 50 mph and it stutters and vibrates, once it gets passed that speed range it stops doing it and drives normally. It is though, getting more pronounced. Could this be a problem with the valve body, solenoid or valve that is sticking?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Xavier

Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

SUBJECT:
Flash: 1 - 2 Upshift Shudder or Rough Shift
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves checking the 2 - 4 Clutch Volume Index (CVI) and if necessary
selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software and then performing a Quicklearn to reset the CVI.
MODELS:
2005 - 2006 (LX/LE) 300/Charger/Magnum (Includes International
Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all 2005 models with a 2.7L or 3.5L engine and 42RLE
transmission (Sales Code EER or EGG with DG6) and 2006 LX models
equipped with a 2.7L engine and 42RLE transmission (Sales Code EER and
DG6) built prior to April 4, 2006 (MDH0404XX) or 2006 LE models equipped
equipped with a 2.7L engine and 42RLE transmission (Sales Code EER and
DG6) built prior to April 5, 2006 (MDH0405XX) ** and all 2006 models
equipped with a 3.5L engine and 42RLE transmission (Sales Code EGG with
DG6)**.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience rough 1 - 2 upshifts or vehicle shudder.
NUMBER: 21-012-06 REV. B
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: October 3, 2006
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are
present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further
with this bulletin.
Using the StarSCAN® read the transmission 2 - 4 Clutch Volume Index value. If the CVI
value is low (30 or below) proceed with the Repair Procedure. If the CVI is above 30,
further diagnosis may be required.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. Took it into Cronic and they ran a Flash on the vehicle. Came back and said I needed to overhaul or put in new tranny. Don't know what I am going to do for now. Money is tight and $1,900.00 - $2,400.00 is not in my future plans. Have to drive it like it is and hope for the best. Thanks again for the reply but it looks like I am stuck with what I've got.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Im not from your area, but, correct me if I am wrong, it appears that Cronic is a GM dealer. If a GM dealer said that to me (for that amount of money), knowing that there is a TSB out there for a very similar issue, I would get a second opinion from a Mopar dealer.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

bring it up to me =) I will take a look and see whats going on

Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Default Tranny woes

Hey Kevin, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate what you are saying but Cronic is one of those dealers who has multi model dealers, Chrysler, Jeep, Chevy Buick, GMC, and more.
I paid $92.00 to have a "Flash" run by one of their Chrysler techs. He came back and said that after doing the "flash", the car still had the same problem in the test drive. Basically, the car had same symptoms after doing the "flash".
My situation right now makes it difficult for me to make this kind of repair. Money is tight, too tight. Tempted to take and trade car in as is and get what we can. Hate to do it but the car is drivable as is. Chrysler tech said it could go 6 mos. like that.
If you really believe there is something that can be done w/o making a drastic tranny trade, I will bring it to you. Really hate to lose the car. Up to now, other than a recent engine oil consumption problem (Chrysler says it is normal (?)), the car has been great. Right now my wife drives 10 miles each way to and from work. if it can last two or three months like that, great.
Let me know what you think and again thanks for your reply.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 PM

titita I noticed that you mentioned an oil consumption problem what is the range of consumption since i had the same problem and got it fixed for almost nothing.

my car was consuming almost 1.5 quarts for 4000KM which is too high for a synthetic oil that is changeable after 10000KM what I found is a leak from the crank seal between the engine and tranny which also was causing some bad shifting cause of low oil levels. what my dealer did is that they sold me PENZZOIL oil at weight of 5W40 and said just use it since the leak is not bad from the seal. the oil it self is bad (high temp and high pressure) any way after about 2000KM and consuming about 0.5 quart my engine stopped leaking and the dealer say that i can swap back to mobile one for the next oil change and this trick will work for about 6 months to one year
also you might be losing oil from the oil pan draining bolt it is like 10$ and you can do it with oil change
so you can see that i spent normal price for oil change and got my 300C 5.7L fixed and it is something that i have to do any way

so just tell me if that is your case!!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think your problem is not related to mine but mine started with a little over a quart over 4000 miles with the mileage on the car right below 100K miles. The car has been checked by the dealer, independent certified mechanic and still the same. Car has been checked thoroughly for leaks but none have been found, finally dealer gave me a paper issued by Chrysler that basically says EVERY model they make shows sign of oil usage after 75,000 miles and it is considered normal. No wonder Mercedes wanted out. I have switched to Shell Rotella T 15w40(diesel motor oil) and using Lucas every three changes and it seems to have slowed the leakage down. Other than that, I have to live with it. I hope that answers your questions