Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

2008 Touring 3.5 HO Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Default 2008 Touring 3.5 HO Engine Noise

Hello,
I bought a used 300 Touring Vin #2C3KA53G88H255227 8 days ago from a local large Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership. The car has 11,500 miles on it now, 10,900 when I bought it.
After the engine warms up, there is a very noticeable tapping noise . It appears to be coming from both sides of the engine. I brought the car back to the dealership and the mechanic and salesman are telling me this is common with these engines and is nothing to be concerned with. I'm having a hard time believing that it is normal for a new vehicle engine to tap like this. Can someone please confirm or deny what the dealership is telling me about this engine?
Thank You

Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Default Touring 3.5 knocking

Hey, I just took mine in for an oil change, I'm at 9000k and I noticed yesterday it did exactly what you described. This was the first time but I'm worried now, I havn't started it since but let me know if you figure anything out

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Default Tapping

I own a 2006 touring and have had the same problem for two years now. i have had everything imaginable done to try and eliminate the noise bar have the head removed but to no avail. I noticed a mild stagger in the acceleration about 3 months ago and discovered that 3 of the 8 cylinders were misfiring. After the plugs were replaced (full service) it fixed that. I am using a heavier weigh oil and this quired it some but now its the summer and its as loud as ever....

Originally Posted by ChryslerNewbie
Hello,
I bought a used 300 Touring Vin #2C3KA53G88H255227 8 days ago from a local large Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership. The car has 11,500 miles on it now, 10,900 when I bought it.
After the engine warms up, there is a very noticeable tapping noise . It appears to be coming from both sides of the engine. I brought the car back to the dealership and the mechanic and salesman are telling me this is common with these engines and is nothing to be concerned with. I'm having a hard time believing that it is normal for a new vehicle engine to tap like this. Can someone please confirm or deny what the dealership is telling me about this engine?
Thank You

Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM

i have had everything imaginable done to try and eliminate the noise bar have the head removed
The Rocker arm assemblies are Notoriously JUNK...Chrysler has a Service kit with full assemblies available.

What do you consider Heavier Oil......???? Use whatever is stated on the Oil Fill Cap....

This isnt the 1970's anymore, and your oil passages are only 1/4 of what they were 20 years ago....You think Youre helping it, but the heavier oil , in reality Just starves it worse...

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Cheers appreciate the answer

I bought my car at a Honda dealership and their service dept did the oil change, I believe they went to 10/40 but I am mechanically challenged so I have to trust the service dept of a reputable dealership. However it wouldnt be the first time I've been screwed by a dealership service dept.
Can I get the rocker arm assembly service kit to take to my new mechanic (GMC dealership) or do I need to bring it to a Chrysler dealership? Also any idea what I should expect for the cost of the kit plus install? Thanks again for the help its the first promising answer I seem to have gotten from anyone in the years that I have had the problem.

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
The Rocker arm assemblies are Notoriously JUNK...Chrysler has a Service kit with full assemblies available.

What do you consider Heavier Oil......???? Use whatever is stated on the Oil Fill Cap....

This isnt the 1970's anymore, and your oil passages are only 1/4 of what they were 20 years ago....You think Youre helping it, but the heavier oil , in reality Just starves it worse...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM

Can I get the rocker arm assembly service kit to take to my new mechanic (GMC dealership) or do I need to bring it to a Chrysler dealership?
Unless it is a warranty-able repair, there is No way a MFR can require you to have it done by their personnell. , Go to the Chrysler dealership, with your Vin Number, and Ask for the "Rocker Arm and shaft" assemblies.... Once you have them, Who installs them is your choice. There really isnt anything "Spectacular" about the repair, provided the Basic Valvetrain Knowledge is in the Guys Coconut...

Stay Tuned, I'll try and get you a Part #....

Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Unless it is a warranty-able repair, there is No way a MFR can require you to have it done by their personnell. , Go to the Chrysler dealership, with your Vin Number, and Ask for the "Rocker Arm and shaft" assemblies.... Once you have them, Who installs them is your choice. There really isnt anything "Spectacular" about the repair, provided the Basic Valvetrain Knowledge is in the Guys Coconut.......
This^^^

However, if you are withing the manufactures warranty, have them do it.
At least its on the service record.
If the noise continues, you have amunition when you take it back to them

Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Default warranty

No warranty has expired, its up to me at this point.

Originally Posted by blacknight
This^^^

However, if you are withing the manufactures warranty, have them do it.
At least its on the service record.
If the noise continues, you have amunition when you take it back to them

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 PM

i believe the 3.5 calls for 10-30 i could be wrong but regaurdless crystler engines have problems if i had one i wouldnt run anything but synthetics and change it every 3000 at most

Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM

I recently bought a 2008 300 Touring with 35K on the clock. Had the same tapping noise at operating temperature. I took it to two separate Chrysler dealers and both told me it was "normal fuel injector noise." I'm still convinced that's not true, and I plan to bring it up again when I take it back to the dealer for it's next oil change.