Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Default 3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound

My 300C is only 5 weeks old. Since new there is a ticking sound coming from the engine, more pronounced when accelerating. Ticking is directly proportional to engine revs and sounds like an old push-rod tappet engine. Dealer says it is normal for the diesel 300C! It is a Mercedes engine and I can't imagine Mercedes owners putting up with this noise. Can anyone help?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Default RE: 3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound

It is difficult to sayif the noise should be there or not, kinda like me asking you to estimate how long the string is behind my back. I would suggest visiting a different stealership and listening to a couple other cars that are compareable to yours. I do know that the GrandCherokee is pretty quiet, until you open the hood, then there is quite a bit more noise.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 AM

Hi You are correct Mercedes wouldn’t put up with it and they don’t. This is just a right hand drive issues and the dealer is correct as to it is normal noise but it’s the routing of the air con pipes then transmit the normal noise into the vehicle. You can drive a Grand Cherokee with the same engine and you don’t here that noise so it’s not the engine. I have repositioned (bent slightly) the air con pipes/ wiring harness around the air con pipes down the left hand side of the vehicle and have lessoned the noise and sometimes removed it all together. Technical are aware of the issue and a fix is on it’s way, one was already test but not 100% successful. Your dealer should try and reposition the pipes and also raise a T.P.R (technical product report) and send it to technical NOT just fob you off. This noise is only at around 2.000 RPM.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks Merlin, I will have a go at repositioning/bending the air con pipes/wiring harness tomorrow. The car is going into the dealers on Monday as the MyGig and Radioare a mess (need upgraded software and the amplifier has to be removed and sent back to Chrysler!!), so will also get them to have a look again(if your solution doesn't solve it fully) and insist on them raising a TPR.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 AM

Hi
Ok but only slightly, you will see the area I mean if you look down the left side you will see where the wire harness goes from the engine to the body it goes behind the air con pipe and starts to rub on the pipe. Just move it up a bit and bend the pipes slightly towards theengine so there is space so less noise is transmitted (saftly first remember the pipes are full of air con gas so I would prefer your dealer to do it). Make sure it's 9.807 they update the software to andif you are close to Milton Kynes they will flash your amp on your vehicle and you can wait for it. (I guess it's to fix the nav voice issue) so no need for it to be removed and sent to then.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Yes, it is to fix the Nav Voice problem. Unfortunately I am inScotland, so can't pop into MK. They say it will take four days. Have decided to leave the AC pipe to the dealer.

They tell me that a UK RH-drive 300Cis on the way to Chrysler USA to investigate and solve the 'ticking'!! Not sure whether to believe that?

Many thanks for all your help. Will let you know how things develop.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Yes they have had one for a long time in the states trying to find a fix. Let me know if what I sugested fixes it, It's always good to know.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Ticking sound has not been cured by bending the pipes as suggested, although it may be slightly less now at low revs, but still very noisy when accelerating. Dealer wants to wait until Chrysler USA comes up with the 'fix'.
SatNav sorted and yes, version 9.807 has been loaded. Now concerned about Gracenotes. My version is 518 but mofv.com suggests it should be 882 - quite a difference there.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Hi
sorry to hear that,at least it has improved the noise so you know it's not the engine. I am at a chrysler technical meeting next month I will see what I can find out.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm not so sure now that it is any quieter. I think it was just hope and wishful thinking! I look forward to hearing from you after the technical meeting. If possible, could you also find out when the new EVIC flash update will be available? Mine is a mess and the dealer keeps saying he is waiting for the new update.

Quick Reply: 3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound