Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Default RE: 3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound

Car went back to dealer last Friday. They have reflashed EVIC to version AG and all problems solved there. However, dealer claims that they still do not have a fix for the tapping engine sound. Say they will let me know when they hear anything!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Default RE: 3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound

Hi
Yes I have seen this. I guess UK technical are testing the fix on sulected vehicles before general release.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Angry Engine still Tapping

Car now 6 months old and nothing yet from Chrysler to solve the problem. Received another letter from Customer Support in Milton Keynes last week after I wrote them another chasing letter: "5 March 2009 - Technical team have confirmed that although testing is now complete, investigations continue and we have now received the necessary testing equipment in the UK. Our Technical team will contact your dealership... in the next couple of weeks to make arrangements for a Technician to inspect and test your vehicle".

Compare that to a previous letter from the same person: "28 October 2008 - ...our engineers have now completed their investigations into the problem with the engine tapping noise and are currently working on producing a fix for this".

How many 300C-SRT6-Designs are there out there. Let's all write and complain to Milton Keynes constantly until they DO SOMETHING.

Now totally frustrated and beginning to hate my 300C - the love affair is over!!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Hi
Hopefully after they fix this you will fall in love again.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Default Things are finally happening

Chrysler UK sent a technician to my dealer to record the sound of my ticking engine this week. Following that, I had a phone call from Chrysler to say that the noise is coming from the front main bearing!! They say that on a scale of 1-10 of similar noises they have recorded in 300Cs mine is about 3!! All I can say is that a 10 must sound like a pneumatic road drill, becase mine can be heard above a loud CD or radio, and is always the first thing that people comment on when they get in the car. It can be very deflating when you are proudly showing off your 'super' car. The 'fix' is to replace this bearing with a modified version. They will not guarantee that this will cure the problem, but I will report here when the replacement has been installed. It seems a strange sound to be coming from a bearing rather than the fuel injectors or valve lifting system, but we shall see. Chrysler seemed quite confident that it IS the bearing.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi
Interesting but the noise was from new was it not? This is the TSB for this issue but for your info http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0900108.pdf didn't think the 08 was involved certainly 08 is not in the TSB.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks Merlin. A very interesting TSB. I guess 08 is not on TSB as it was issued in 07. The Design-SRT must have the same problem, although you are right that the noise has been right from the start, and the car has only done a total of 8500 miles. I hope they did the test of removing the accessory drive belt as per the TSB.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Default No improvement

Main bearing has been replaced (it took 2 weeks!) and I have run it for a couple of weeks to see if it improves. But, no change whatsoever. I am still convinced it is coming from the fuel injectors. I guess I will just have to live with it.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Hi
Sorry to hear there is no improvement, have you driven any others? Have not seen what the mod they was working on in the USA for this issue yet so can't help much more. Sorry.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Does the ticking sound much different to the other Chrysler 3.0litre engines?

Quick Reply: 3.0L Diesel Engine Ticking Sound