Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

3.5 HO Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Default 3.5 HO Engine Ticking

Hello: I have a 2006 300 Touring with the 3.5 HO engine. Last winter, it started ticking at cold start. It sounded like a bad rocker in a push rod engine. Then, after 2-3 miles driving, it would go away. Now, with 16,000 miles on the clock, it makes the ticking noise everyday at cold start, regardless of weather. Once again, after 2-3 miles of driving, it goes away and returns to its normal smooth self. Oil level and pressure are fine. Any ideas? Also, I asked the dealer to use synthethic oil in it at changes, and was told the Shop Manual calls for a synthethic blend only, and that the use of straight synthetic would void its warranty. What's up with that?

Another little "charm" it has is that, sometimes, at a stop light, it will "hiccup" or sort of "catch its breath." I haven't been fast enough to see if it really slows down by reading the tach, but it feels like it was going to die, then catches itself, and returns to its usual smooth self.

Other than those things, its been a wonderful car, great performance for a six, and what a great chassis for an everyday automobile. I can see why people love them. I hope that the new Management Team at Chrysler, 1). Doesn't run the firm into the ground and kill it, and 2). fool around with this winner and ruin it. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Default RE: 3.5 HO Engine Ticking

I have exactly the same problem, only i have a 300M (2000) 3.5, but s is the same engine...

Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
moe

what is the 8th vin position on your vin number? if its "G","V".or 4.you might have been part of a recall having to do with #2 rod bearing heres the number RC-F35-06.call your dealership.it also has to do with your production date on the engine itself.moe.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks, Moe. Its a "G", so I'll contact the dealer. Tham\nks, again for the info.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Let me know how you make out on that Dougsdad.

My '07 Touring is having a crank/bearing kit installed at the dealer as we speak. Makes me very nervous. It "ticked" cold engine only; lasted about 2 minutes.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:08 PM

My 2006 magnum started ticking at start up a couple months ago, it would only do it every once in a while. I was coming home from Arkansas last week and it now sounds like a lifter let go. I now have 104,000 on my 3.5, do you think that the service bulliten will apply?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM

These all sound to familiar with my 3.5 2007 Magnum. At cold start I get a hollow ticking/knocking noise from what sounds like the top of the motor but it’s hard to locate. Slight rev and let it come down to idle and it is obvious. Also under acceleration during warm up you can hear a tick. They replaced the rocker assemblies with the built in lifters on both heads. The local Dodge dealer says the noise is normal and are not willing to do any more since it stops after 3 or 4 minutes. It has not done it for the first 19,999 miles so I know it’s not normal. I also have the “hiccup” at idle as with dougsdad. Any suggestions would be of great help! THANKS!

Other then these small problems I love this automobile.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM

Update: They said that the rocker shaft on the drivers side broke the pin that keeps the rocker shaft from spinning. They replaced the rockers and the shaft and everythig is OK

Old 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM

As soon as I hit 42,000 miles on my 300 the engine starting ticking....terribly! I also have had problems starting it....turn the key nothing happens at all, turn it again and nothing and then after waiting a while it will start. My car shakes horribly and continues to even after an alighnment, I feel like my wheels are going to fall off. I had a small dent on the driver door and when I went to have it taking care of the guy at the auto body said he couldnt match the paint because the front panel on and bumper and on the car are a different color than the rest, and was pretty sure it was in a accident. I was told I could use the Vin number to see but I havent figured out how to do that yet. So frusterating when you spend so much money hoping you wont have to worry about fixing it all the time and than to have so many probles. I was better off with my 96 Buick I think. I am sure this car must have been through something, I sure hope they all are not this bad. I dont feel safe when my daughter and I are in it.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Default ticking feels like engine knock

Hi i am actually looking for a chrylser mechanic who actually knows about cars and engine to do with chrysler really need your HELP

Quick Reply: 3.5 HO Engine Ticking