Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

30k service and strange noise in dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Default 30k service and strange noise in dash

Okay I am up for my 30k service the dealer quoted me $435.00 seems a bit much
also this morning with the climate control on auto I had this odd noise coming
from the dash sounded like there is a wood pecker in there and then goes away.
Any idea of what it could be and has anyone had this noise on there 300c.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM

Ok problem found its the blend box in the dash
they are fixing it under warr whole dash needs
to be droped to be replaced. My dealer service is great.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Default Blend Box ???

I have the base model 300 06 year. Car has about 78K miles on it, and about two weeks ago this "Tapping" or as it was described "woodpecker" noise is accurate. It was so loud that I could not believe it! I'm new to the forum and still learning, but any additional info on this issue "Blend Box" and the ramifications it present's, i.e., dash removal, cost (since car is out of warrant), etc. Any info greatly appreciated!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM

The noise is the blend door motor "skipping" as it turns while moving the split hinge on the door.

Hutch as long as everything's working you can wait until it stops working to get it fixed (if you're out of warranty) This is not something you want to attempt yourself. You can create MANY other issues if it's not done right. The labor is about 6-8 hours to do the job. Parts prices I really couldn't guess at the moment.

Tugbone...30K on that car is Oil change, transmission service, maybe rotate & balance tires. That's about it.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-21-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Default Thanks TNtech

Originally Posted by TNtech
The noise is the blend door motor "skipping" as it turns while moving the split hinge on the door.

Hutch as long as everything's working you can wait until it stops working to get it fixed (if you're out of warranty) This is not something you want to attempt yourself. You can create MANY other issues if it's not done right. The labor is about 6-8 hours to do the job. Parts prices I really couldn't guess at the moment.

Tugbone...30K on that car is Oil change, transmission service, maybe rotate & balance tires. That's about it.

Sounds expensive TNtech! Q-When the blend door motor eventually stops working, no air to come out of the ducts, correct? Heat and A/C basically out of service then?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Default Noise not as bad as previous? - but...

Thank's Again TNtech! The noise does not present itself everytime, about every third or fourth time the car is started the noise will last about 2-3 seconds and stop. Q - guess the fan switch controls the blend motor correct? If the A/C button is in the off position will the noise persist? I'm scared to call the Chrysler dealer to get an idea of the job scope and price!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by hutchina3
Sounds expensive TNtech! Q-When the blend door motor eventually stops working, no air to come out of the ducts, correct? Heat and A/C basically out of service then?
Depends on which door. The blend door directs hot/cold. The mode door controls defrost, vents, floor etc. The recirculate door controls inside to outside air intake...not a big deal there.

Originally Posted by hutchina3
Thank's Again TNtech! The noise does not present itself everytime, about every third or fourth time the car is started the noise will last about 2-3 seconds and stop. Q - guess the fan switch controls the blend motor correct? If the A/C button is in the off position will the noise persist? I'm scared to call the Chrysler dealer to get an idea of the job scope and price!!!
It's hard to tell which door it is if there are no symptoms except noise. The A/C button has nothing to do with the doors. It just sends a request signal the the PCM telling it you want to turn on the compressor clutch.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Thank's much TNtech............

Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Angry Fixed Blend Box Actuator Myself "No dealer Required!"

Was determined to come up with a fix on this blend box actuator noise (tick-tick-tick). Could not believe that the dash had to be fully removed to repair or replace this actuator! Well sport's fans - The dash does not have to be removed at All!!!!!!!! This is a gimmick to rob your wallet big time! I took the time to investigate with many, many folks on this issue, off course the dealers said the dash had to be removed (six to seven hours labor plus parts for a grand total approx $700 -800 dollars)! Big - Big B.S. on this one!!!!!!!! For those of you that let the dealer repair your blend box actuator you got ripped big time! (NO DASH REMOVAL!!!)

Here's the deal: #1 - You remove the glove box in it's entirety. The blend box is directly in front of you w/ the actuator mounted on the left side. You removed (2) two screws on the plastic actuator, (1) one forward & (1) one aft. You disconnect the electrical supply harness and remove the actuator. (note: the actuator is a small plastic housed unit with a small motor and a few plastic gears inside. I took it apart and put back togther without any problem 'no stripped gears or motor problem detected' - put back together worked fine). Should you need a new actuator the cost is only $ 13-15 dollars on line, DO NOT BUY FROM DEALER - Terrible mark up as you would expect!!!! Chrysler service department's are defrauding the public and ripping you off - BEWARE!!!! BE SMART!!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

now hold on sec were u told that a new motor would be 6 hours of labor or if they had to replace the Door itself would be 6 hours of labor? The motors are easy the door is not that would require the whole dash to come out and the box be split apart to replace a door.

Quick Reply: 30k service and strange noise in dash