Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

30k service and strange noise in dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Default Blend Box Removal easy

Actually the blend box can be also dropped without removing the dash! You can physically see the door in the box move when you activate the heat to cold and back. If you remove the kick panel under the grove box you can then remove the box if necessary - thus removing the "entire dash" not required!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

humm I dont know about that one

Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by hutchina3
Actually the blend box can be also dropped without removing the dash! You can physically see the door in the box move when you activate the heat to cold and back. If you remove the kick panel under the grove box you can then remove the box if necessary - thus removing the "entire dash" not required!
DO it...take pics then let me know how it went......

Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by hutchina3
Was determined to come up with a fix on this blend box actuator noise (tick-tick-tick). Could not believe that the dash had to be fully removed to repair or replace this actuator! Well sport's fans - The dash does not have to be removed at All!!!!!!!! This is a gimmick to rob your wallet big time! I took the time to investigate with many, many folks on this issue, off course the dealers said the dash had to be removed (six to seven hours labor plus parts for a grand total approx $700 -800 dollars)! Big - Big B.S. on this one!!!!!!!! For those of you that let the dealer repair your blend box actuator you got ripped big time! (NO DASH REMOVAL!!!)

Here's the deal: #1 - You remove the glove box in it's entirety. The blend box is directly in front of you w/ the actuator mounted on the left side. You removed (2) two screws on the plastic actuator, (1) one forward & (1) one aft. You disconnect the electrical supply harness and remove the actuator. (note: the actuator is a small plastic housed unit with a small motor and a few plastic gears inside. I took it apart and put back togther without any problem 'no stripped gears or motor problem detected' - put back together worked fine). Should you need a new actuator the cost is only $ 13-15 dollars on line, DO NOT BUY FROM DEALER - Terrible mark up as you would expect!!!! Chrysler service department's are defrauding the public and ripping you off - BEWARE!!!! BE SMART!!!!

That's the ACTUATOR...not the doors INSIDE the HVAC unit. Gees Louise........

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Wink Thanks TN Tech "Clarification"

I guess I should clarify the past posts. The general area of "real" concern, dash noise, etc., does not come from the actual "blend box". Everyone I spoke too, Chrysler owners, dealer service tech's, part's departments have all stated that the "Chief problem" almost always stems from the actuator and the motor that turns it! They state that when the noise presents itself "tick-tick-tick" (the woodpecker) it is coming from the actuator motor #05061099AA. The three Chrysler dealers where I'm located have never, ever had an issue with the actual "Blend Box", only the actuator! So, my issue is with the actuator only, not the blend box, plenum, housing distribution, etc. Chrysler has stated that the "actual blend box" is incapable of making the "tick-tick-tick" noise issue, guess they know what their talking about? Guess I'm lucky it's only the actuator, something that I've already pulled out and checked. I ordered a new replacement motor yesterday $13.01 plus S/H. Will replace the old one next week with the new one. "Anyway thanks again for all you valuable info, my issue is now corrected!"

Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Default did you get your problem solved

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Chrysler 300c, annoying ticking/woodpecker noise. Was it the Actuator in the dashboard? Also were repairs very costly?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by kamant2002
I am having the same problem with my 2011 Chrysler 300c, annoying ticking/woodpecker noise. Was it the Actuator in the dashboard? Also were repairs very costly?
What type of engine do you have in your 300?