Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Flickering Lights and shut off

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Default Flickering Lights and shut off

I just bought a used 2005 300 limited. It's loaded with Nav, sunroof, leather and has 20,000 original miles. It still have factory warranty unitl May. The isssue, is after it was inspected and passed, I have been driving for about 2 weeks and the interior lights and headlights have been flickering when I go past 50 MPH. Then the battery light goes on as well. The interior switch is either on Auto or on when this happens. When it is off, the batery light does not come on. If I come to a stop and turn engine off and restart, it all goes away and doesn't come on again for about 10 miles or until I get past 50 MPH. While this is all gping on the Nav is fine and the car is still working fine. At one point the interior lights shut off, but everything else was still ok. I checked the battery connections and they looked tight and brand new. Can this be an old battery and needs replaced or could it be the alternator? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Default RE: Flickering Lights and shut off

Go read my post in the Pacifica Forum.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/m_17210/tm.htm

I think this is a wide spread problem with Chrysler. We went to the dealer many times and they claim they don't know what is causing it. They have never seen it before. I find that hard to believe. Even if your Chrysler is not flickering now, give it time, it will. I feel sure that you can fix it this way. This might be a way to see if I am right about all Chrysler automobiles having this problem. In my case though EVERYTHING was flickering. It took a while for us to realize that more than just the lights were flickering. When the radio started to click an pop, I knew it was more than a lights problem. Turning off the engine would seem to fix it for a while. I would even put it into neutral at 60 MPH turn off the key for a second and restart it, put it back into gear and continue to make it quit. Well, anyway what you have posted sounds alot like my description of our Pacifica in the beginning. We also bought our car used. I am sure that the previous owner "got rid" of this problem and you and I just unknowingly bought it.

Anyway go have a look at the post.

Ranzy

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM

By the way, I replaced my battery the first week of owning my Pacifica and the dealer replaced the alternator a couple of weeks after that. It did not fix the problem at all. Our problem just got worse and worse until I fixed it this week.

Ranzy

Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Ranzy,

Thanks for the great information. I printed it out and I'm going to give this to my dealer to fix it. I also believe after a 3rd time for the same problem not being fixed, it can be considered a lemon.I'm no mecahnic so I'd hate to even try. My luck it would blow up. I'm waitng on a part that is supposed to fix the "airbag" light being on. I'll tell them about the flickering. Nothing changed though, still the same flickering of only interior lights and headlights. Nav is great and car runs great. Just worried about the shut off in the dark. I drive early morningsand late nights.

Thanks again,

I'll keep you updatd if they fix it.

Also the 300 battery is in the back trunk, not sure if it's different set up than the Pacifica.

Mike R

Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Although I don't know where ther battery is located in the 300, or where the fuse box is located, I don't think that matters. I know that the power for the fuse box has to come straight from the battery. And that's not a fused connection either.

I would love to know if my suspicions are correct about the wiring. I believe that the connector connected to the fuse box is what's defective.

Please let me know what they have to say about the post.

Ranzy

Old 04-17-2020, 09:48 PM
Default Flickering lights and not starting!

Can someone please send me to post the pictures of the fix for this?!

Originally Posted by ranzy

I think this is a wide spread problem with Chrysler. We went to the dealer many times and they claim they don't know what is causing it. They have never seen it before. I find that hard to believe. Even if your Chrysler is not flickering now, give it time, it will. I feel sure that you can fix it this way. This might be a way to see if I am right about all Chrysler automobiles having this problem. In my case though EVERYTHING was flickering. It took a while for us to realize that more than just the lights were flickering. When the radio started to click an pop, I knew it was more than a lights problem. Turning off the engine would seem to fix it for a while. I would even put it into neutral at 60 MPH turn off the key for a second and restart it, put it back into gear and continue to make it quit. Well, anyway what you have posted sounds alot like my description of our Pacifica in the beginning. We also bought our car used. I am sure that the previous owner "got rid" of this problem and you and I just unknowingly bought it.

Ranzy

Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 AM

Purchased a 2000 300 in 2005, it had flickering interior lights, most annoying. Mine turned out to be a matter of getting the light switch into a position where the flickering stopped. I don't know if it was dirty or just made too cheaply. Apparently manufactures only worry about quality when there are major law suits involved. Also had the gas line leak that so many other owners of this car have had. That was a fire hazard, they should be more concerned with that one. Tom

Old 07-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Default 2006

[QUOTE=April Geer;114162]Can someone please send me to post the pictures of the fix for this?![/

Im curious too! Im having same issue. Ranzy what was it you had to fix??!!??

Old 10-29-2020, 09:51 AM
Default I'm having the same issue can u help

By the way, I replaced my battery the first week of owning my Pacifica and the dealer replaced the alternator a couple of weeks after that. It did not fix the problem at all. Our problem just got worse and worse until I fixed it this week.

Ranzy
im having the same issue can u help me

Old 11-19-2021, 04:37 AM

Ranzy
Hello Ranzy I tried to click on your link to see how you corrected this problem like i am currently having and it is not letting me pull the solution up like u had stated is there a way that you can send me what you did so i may attempt to fix my vehicle asap thank you.