Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Light Dimming

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Default Light Dimming

I have a 2005 300C limited. Often while the car is on, the interior and exterior lights seem to dim up and down. I wouldnt classify this as a flicker, more of a dimming.

From my experience in car electronics (very little) it seems like the altinator is not producing enough power. I dont have any high power after market parts, only a remote starter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Default RE: Light Dimming

Had a similar situation with my Intrepid ES. Turned out to be the cooling fan has a relay that turns it on and off. When the fan would click on, the most obvious thing would be the headlights (and interior lights if on) would drop down a bit in intensity. I noticed the headlights got a bit dimmer when we were driving a dark back road shortly after buying the car in 1998.

I took it to the dealer and they checked it out, there was nothing wrong with the alternator or anything in the electrical system. It was in fact, the draw of power for the cooling fan.

(PS: I just took delivery on a new 300C and haven't really driven it at night on a dark highway yet, but I would be curious to see if the same thing happens.)

Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 PM

lol! My last Intrepid ES did the same thing! The headlights were fine, but all the lighting on the dash and stereo would flicker constantly(it was really distracting at night). I took it in to be looked at twice, but it always come back. Eventually, I discovered that if you roll that little dimmer wheel thingie(lol I don't know the "technical name" but it's right by the headlight switch) out of the lock postion and dim your interrior lights just a tad, they shouldn't flicker anymore. You shouldn't have to play games with your new car, I know...but it's a minor/easy solution. Hope that helps.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 AM

bells,

Those are actually two different problems. The dash lights jump around in intensity because of a quirk in the dimmer switch that controls the display intensity. The problem I had with headlights and interior cabin lights was in fact because of the fan drain. When I would be driving on a dark road, I would see a noticeable dip and recover in the headlight intensity. It wasn't because I was going uphill, or because the A/C was on. It was directly diagnosed as the drain the engine fan causes because the headlights, cabin lights and engine fan are on the same fuse and circuit.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 PM

I hadsimilar problem,I did a tune up and solve the problem!! spark plug was very old (maybe original, all rust)
good luck