Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Problems removing Crank Timing Belt Sprocket, 2006 300 3.5L

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 01:52 PM
Default Problems removing Crank Timing Belt Sprocket, 2006 300 3.5L

I'm replacing the oil pump on a 2006 300, 3.5L. Water pump and timing belt as well, since I'm in there, I am having problems removing the Crank Timing Belt Spocket. From all my research, there is supposed to be a pin that has to be driven out with a punch, but I do not see one. From the pictures I've seen, the hole for the pin can be seen easily, but there doesn't seem to be one on mine. Any idea if some were manufactured with just a slot key? I'm afraid of putting too much force on the sprocket trying to remove it, until I know what I'm up against.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:00 AM

Crank gear must be indexed to the crank to align the mark and time the cams. Turn the engine to #1 TDC, pin hole will be straight up.
Maybe you pin is sheared off flush??

Old 11-18-2023, 06:35 AM

I have the timing belt removed and the rocker arms loosened to prevent valves from hitting the pistons when I turn the crankshaft. I don't see the hole for the pin, or the pin itself. I've turned the crank 360 degrees many times looking for anything that might be a pin, but nothing. I don't see a slot along the shaft for a key either. It appears there might be a slot along the inside hole of the timing belt sprocket, where the crank comes through.

I don't think the pin is sheared, as it was running fine before tearing down this far. The reason I am replacing the Oil Pump, was from a screw up on my part.

The oil pressure warning light came on a few times over a few weeks period of time. Oil level was fine. I changed the oil and filter just in case. The oil light still came on briefly for a few days. I decided to replace the oil pressure sending unit. I over-tightened the sending unit, resulting in cracking the flange. Obviously, oil sprayed out when I started it...... BiG
Whoops on my part.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:55 PM

Gear needs to be removed to expose pin in crankshaft. Gear is known to be difficult to remove. Even with the proper puller may be near impossible to remove. Heat may help but don’t count on it.
(I have had to drill and split more than I have successfully removed)
The Pin is also hard to remove. Drive it into the open shaft end usually requires an air hammer.
Obtain a new gear and pin and gear prior to starting job, can be expensive and hard to obtain.
https://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopi...32919&start=80
Did you check oil pressure with an accurate gauge? Pressure switches are known to be an issue and use OEM Only!
5 psi hot idle is min spec. 35-100 @ 2500

Last edited by FIREM; 11-19-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:39 PM

Unfortunately, I'm past checking the pressure now. I tried to replace the pressure switch and that's when the flange cracked and is now spraying oil all over the front of the motor and inside the hood.

I have no choice at this point, but to replace the oil pump, since this is where the flange the pressure switch screws into. In order to replace the oil pump, the timing belt sprocket has to come off in order to slide the pump off the crankshaft.

I'm a bit confused now though. Your comment "Gear needs to be removed to expose pin in crankshaft". The picture I've seen the description I've read, show a hole in the sprocket/gear facing where the belt rides. In between the cogs. A punch is used to drive the pin into the center opening of the crankshaft where it can be removed with a magnet. After this is done, you can pull the sprocket/gear off.

Mine does not have a hole, like what I've seen or like the descriptions I've read. Mine does appear to be keyed or slotted though, which would make more sense as to what you're saying. I've typically seen keys, either half-moon shaped or even rectangular shaped keys, but I

I was able to see the keyed slot using my phone's camera. I assume this is the pin you mentioned, rather than a keyed slot in both the crank and sprocket or gear?
guess a pin would have the same purpose.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:13 AM

Click on the link in the above post (I fixed it)
Scroll down and you will see the step by step a friend of mine went thru to get the sprocket off.
He felt it was rusted in place when it really is about the interference /shrink fit between the sprocket and crank.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:00 AM

I registered to 300mclub.org, but after successful
registration and logging in, it states I'm not authorized to read this forum?

Old 11-19-2023, 10:23 AM

Yippy!!! I got the gear off. Was a bit tough, but that's done anyway. Not even a blemish on the gear. Now to drive the pin out. I sure liked the old style key much better than this pin idea.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:07 PM

Good to hear you got it off. Once the pin is out you have it made !!!
Sorry, didn’t realize topic was posted in the dues paying members section of the forum.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:55 PM

Thanks for your help. The pins is not so easy either. Still working on it. It's mushrooming rather than driving in. I'll get it, but man what a chore. To reiterate, the old style of key was so much better and easier to remove.

Quick Reply: Problems removing Crank Timing Belt Sprocket, 2006 300 3.5L