Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Transmission

Old 03-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Default RE: Transmission

My 300C had only 6 thou miles on it and the trany went, who ever the idiot was that put it together the first time screwed up and it took 6 thou miles to break down. chrysler pushes you off to the dealer to make decision to get new or rebuild. The dealer was very nice and treated me with kid gloves. They assured me that it will be rebuilt better than new. I have car now and all is fine like nothing ever happened. I have nav system and siruis radio and all works well. I just was the unlucky one that had a trany that was put together the first time by a idiot.

Mike

Old 03-27-2006, 11:49 PM
ace

I work at a dealer and we have had a few 300's in for tranny probs most have been rebuilt by our trans tech who i would trust with my tranny with his eyes closed he is one of the best i know. I can recall one tranny he could not rebuild becouse the plates and discs would not go into the tranny he called dcx and they sent a new tranny out asap and asked we send everything back out of the old tranny i cannot say they may have problems but i can say we have had a few. It may be the water in the tranny problem(recall issued).
Well good luck with your trans if it was rebuilt well you should not have any problems

Old 03-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Ace thanks for your incourgagement most appreciated. I am in Delray beach florida and the Dealer is Maroone chrysler. The Trany guy that rebuilds also has a great reputation as the dealer tells me. The part that really bothered me was the quick brush off chrysler gave me and refused to hear any more of what I had to say. They put it off on the dealer.

Mike

Old 03-29-2006, 06:54 PM

From what I've heard, the trans problems seem to be with the 5 spd auto built in Indiana. If the trans was from Germany, they are not supposed to be prone to these problems. With this being the case, I guess it would make sense to check the window sticker at purchase to see where the tranny was made before deciding which car to buy.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info its to late for another car. But I still have the window sticker so let me know where to find out where my trany was made. Most appreciated.

Mike

Old 04-03-2006, 04:17 PM

My transmission was made in the States after looking at window sticker and not in Germany. I would like if possibe I can reach the corperate office with all the executives and not customer assistance because it does not go any further past them. If any one can give me a address would be most appreciated.

Mike

Old 07-25-2006, 08:37 PM

ac drain tubes are mounted right above bell housing. IF when the trans was assembled they ripped the seal on the dipstick tube, water drips out of ac tube, down bell housing right into dipstick seal. Poof, water in the trans. i personally have seen alot of 300C's, Grand's (3.7 & 5.7), a few Commanders (3.7 & 5.7) and a few Wranglers.

during assembley if care wasnt taken installing the dipstick tube then some will have issues while others will not. all that needs to be done is rebuild, and flush a few times, drive and then reflush to make sure all the water is removed. case in point Recall E13..........

XtremeCuztoms

Old 07-26-2006, 10:34 AM

Hello I went into chrysler and put my vin and it came up with no recall for my tranny problem I appreciate your professional input with the problem which on the mechanical side my self I understand everything you told me.

Thanks
Mike

Old 07-30-2006, 08:16 PM

there is NO Formal recall on this issue. im just saying in the stand point of me being at a Chrysler Jeep Dealer, the cars with the SAME isssues had WATER in them. and i can't belive that everyone drove thru a giant water puddle or over a flooded road and ingested water into the TRANS. althought last summer we saw 5 300C's hydrolocked. !!!

so when you goto Chrysler's site or your try to check it by VIN you will NOT find anything.................. but..... goto the dealer and ask them where the AC drain is on your car??
the reason there was no recall was due to the fact that it was very strange to see, but we have seen more then 45 300C's with water in the trans.
and a few SRT8's with metal shavings in the ring and pinion in the diff. but thats another story.

so, no recalls................ your car might be taking in condensation from the AC but your buddy's will not be due to the guy on the line was careful and sober...... LOL

Xtreme

Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 AM

I work in the transmission business. In the hemi 300's and the SRT's they used the Mercedes 722.6. It could have been assembled in the states. In the last 3 years, DC has changed the internal design. When this transmisson would start to wear, a bushing in the back of the K2 drum (input drum) would wear prematurely and cause play in the geartrain and it would start a chain reaction that would start to send a large amount of metal through the unit. This would contaminate the other bearings and would literally wipe the unit out. In a high percentage of the failed units, the module (the box the shifter **** is part of in the console) would also fail due to the design of the electronics when the transmission failed. If the dealership reman'ed the unit, the only thing that they re-used was the case itself. The most recent design uses a roller bearing with a teflon seal in thr K2 drum...MUCH BETTER....my 06 with the 3.5 has the mercedes unit in it. This is better than the 05 3.5 and 2.7 that used the 42RLE...the 42RLE is a glorified intrepid transmission....