Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Transmission issue??

Old 11-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Default Transmission issue??

Tried to search but cant really find what I'm looking for. Bought a 2010 300 Touring with the 2.7 baby motor, 49k on it
When I almost come to a stop then get on the gas again it will clunk down into 1st. Seems to be when I get on the gas at the same time as when its downshifting into first. Very difficult to recreate it, it just happens when it happens. I can hear a little bit of what I think is a transmission whine pretty much all the time. It's under warranty/ took it in and the guys said "well, its not throwing any codes" .. No sh*t, I can see it's not throwing any codes but I'm telling you something is wrong. They drove it and couldnt make it happen.
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. Plan on doing a filter/ fluid change this weekend even though the manual says its not due yet .Maybe a programming problem??

Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 PM

With a 2010 model that has 49K miles on it, I would definitely recommend changing the fluid.
That's a lot of miles for a car that 1 to 1 1/2 years old.
Also are you sure it's a Touring or a 2.7 engine?
I always thought it's either a base 2.7 model OR a touring 3.5 model
I've never heard of a 2.7 touring model

Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Last edited by TNtech; 12-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by blacknight
With a 2010 model that has 49K miles on it, I would definitely recommend changing the fluid.
That's a lot of miles for a car that 1 to 1 1/2 years old.
Also are you sure it's a Touring or a 2.7 engine?
I always thought it's either a base 2.7 model OR a touring 3.5 model
I've never heard of a 2.7 touring model
You could never pop the hood and know it's a 2.7 . Feels like I'm in an driving a 4 cylinder. Nonetheless, the motor is clearly marked 2.7L and there is a Touring tag on the back. I posted a pic of it on a motorcycle forum and some peeps came back and said the wheels on it are from the 3.5L too.. Wonder if it was wrecked and somehow got around carfax. Maybe has wheels and trunk from another car??? I'm lost. The user manual CD only lists 2 models .. neither of which are the 2.7. Bodywork all looks good and the paint matches everywhere.
Changing the tranny fluid this weekend ..

Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by BossLady
You could never pop the hood and know it's a 2.7 . Feels like I'm in an driving a 4 cylinder. Nonetheless, the motor is clearly marked 2.7L and there is a Touring tag on the back. I posted a pic of it on a motorcycle forum and some peeps came back and said the wheels on it are from the 3.5L too.. Wonder if it was wrecked and somehow got around carfax. Maybe has wheels and trunk from another car??? I'm lost. The user manual CD only lists 2 models .. neither of which are the 2.7. Bodywork all looks good and the paint matches everywhere.
Changing the tranny fluid this weekend ..
Carfax is no substitute for an inspection by experienced human eyes. It's about as reliable as a blueASE sign hanging in a garage. All relative. If a car is damaged, totaled, flooded or whatever and it doesn't get reported then you'll never know and niether will Carfax. Also VIN plates can be changed. If you want to post your last 8 of VIN, I can maybe see if it WAS a touring and what-not.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Boss Lady, here in Houston Tx also and have a idea for you to try. Mail me. *BW*

Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM

I don't mean to hijack a topic, but I'm new, didn't want to make a new one, and I think I'm having a transmission issue.

I'm in a 2006 Chyrsler 300 Touring with a 3.5 liter engine. About 3 weeks ago it started making a kind of whining sound as I'd accelerate. I had the bearings in my power steering pump go out in another car a long time ago, and the whining was pretty similar to that sound. Except in the 300's case, it's not constant, it whines louder as the engine revs higher. Quiets a bit in the next gear, then grows steadily louder until it shifts again.

About a week ago, I noticed the whining sounding a little more strained than usual. Soon after that, it didn't want to shift out of first or second gear (couldn't tell which). Then as I was parallel parking, it lost all its desire to go. I could press the gas really hard, and it would just inch forward.

We had it towed to a shop where it was found to be in tiptop condition. He said he drove it around all over the place, but wasn't able to get a sound out of it. I just don't think there's enough stopping and going out in his area of town. He did a diagnostic check on it, which said there had been an "event", but there was no way of knowing what it was.

So we picked it up, and sure enough, it was whining again by the time we got home. I know very little about cars, but I've asked around enough to think it may be the transmission. The mechanic told me he wasn't able to check the tranny fluid because it required a dipstick that was only available through Chrysler for $90.

I'm thinking my only option left is to bring it to the dealership, but I'm trying to resist that, as I probably just finished paying them off for the last time I brought it in there 4 years ago.

Any help would be much appreciated, and I'll answer any other questions as best I can.