Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

08 Aspen Brake clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Default 08 Aspen Brake clunk

I have almost 400km on my aspen. So i know this could be many things. When I brake and come to a complete stop (sitting at a red light) then let go of the brake before I accelerate I hear a loud clunk. It only does it when I let go of brake from complete stop and no gas needed. Something I noticed before this happened....when coasting in drive in a parking lot I heard a noise coming from front and you would hear the noise every time the wheel did a full rotation...this happened day before clunk started. Now i know i need to get her up and look but if anyone has some suggestions on what this may be I would appreciate any opinions before I start. Thanks

Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Huston Samantha
I have almost 400km on my aspen. So i know this could be many things. When I brake and come to a complete stop (sitting at a red light) then let go of the brake before I accelerate I hear a loud clunk. It only does it when I let go of brake from complete stop and no gas needed. Something I noticed before this happened....when coasting in drive in a parking lot I heard a noise coming from front and you would hear the noise every time the wheel did a full rotation...this happened day before clunk started. Now i know i need to get her up and look but if anyone has some suggestions on what this may be I would appreciate any opinions before I start. Thanks
My guess is caliper failure or slide broke or even caliper bracket (less likely)? But that's just a guess without driving it myself. Maybe even the pad fell out of position or something? What about bumps? Any odd noise on bumps? Could also be shock/mounts or something. Lug nuts are all tight right?

Last edited by themps; 03-10-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by themps
My guess is caliper failure or slide broke or even caliper bracket (less likely)? But that's just a guess without driving it myself. Maybe even the pad fell out of position or something? What about bumps? Any odd noise on bumps? Could also be shock/mounts or something. Lug nuts are all tight right?
Went out this morning no clunk...no noise.
yes there was noise when hitting bumps before...sounds like squeaky shock but definitely not the shocks. Could it be bushings? They were worn when last checked. Going to check all the things you listed. I live in cold cold weather and it's just gotten above freezing today. Will go out this afternoon and lift her up and take the tire off and see what I can see.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Went out this morning no clunk...no noise.
yes there was noise when hitting bumps before...sounds like squeaky shock but definitely not the shocks. Could it be bushings? They were worn when last checked. Going to check all the things you listed. I live in cold cold weather and it's just gotten above freezing today. Will go out this afternoon and lift her up and take the tire off and see what I can see.
Yeah could be a bushing on the sway / stabilizer bar. Unfortunately it's one of those things that could be a lot of things. If it isn't obvious when you look. It might help also to have someone stand on the front bumper and move it up and down while you listen from the ground.