Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

09 Air intake options

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Default 09 Air intake options

It appears 09 owners don't have many choices for air intakes. It seems the Airaid 300-143 (Quick Fit) system will work. It basically consists of a cone filter replacing the top of the OEM airbox. All stock piping is retained. It doesn't really seem like much for ~$240. I read one good review on a Hemi Commander. They claimed 11 HP. An actual dyno chart would help make my decision.

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=300-143

The other options are are drop-ins. In this case, I would go with aFe Pro-Dry S. ~$50.

I'm looking for a few more hp, and hopefully mpg. I've used many K&N, etc. -- pretty much on every vehicle I've ever owned.

Do you think the Airaid is really worth $200 more than drop-in?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM

I purchased Airaid's Modular Intake Tube for my 07 Aspen 5.7 for $100 and it hooks up to the factory air box . If you take this method you can upgrade from a paper to a hi flow filter . My experience with this system was good , but it made the MDS more pronounced when cruising .

Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks. I've seen those for the < 09 models. I might just go with the drop-in filter. I really don't want much extra noise either -- as my truck is very loud (4.6 3V Sport Trac with Magnaflow & CAI).

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Somehow, these things don't make any sense to me. The stock air intake actually draws air from the area of the wheel well, that is from outside the engine compartment. The modification winds up drawing air from inside the engine compartment, which tends to be warmer and less dense.
The stock air filter has a larger surface area, which means less restriction unless the modified one has greater porosity (less filtering capability.)
So where is the advantage?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 AM

^ The Airaid Quick Fix design still uses the bottom half of the stock aribox. Thus, it still gets outside air from the same location as stock. It somewhat builds a dam around the filter (as seen in picture) to block engine heat. I've used similar designs on many vehicles. The air is really only hotter during excessive idling.

But I sgree with you on the Aspen, the OEM design is pretty good. I'm pretty sure I will get an aFe Pro Dry S filter to drop in.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM

I doubt 11hp was seen from this... It isn't even a true CAI. I would go with a drop in K&N and call it a day.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cracker
I doubt 11hp was seen from this... It isn't even a true CAI. I would go with a drop in K&N and call it a day.
I would highly suggest that you DO NOT use a filter that requires oil to filter the air. I installed a K&N on 2 vehicles and within 2 years I was having fouled sensors from the oil on 1 of my vehicles. The other vehicle I tore apart the air tube and it was slightly coated with oil and some dirt. Go with the dry only, that way you will never have the issue with the oil fouling the sensor in the intake tube! I never over-oiled mine either I was very careful to use very little oil but it still gets through! I am not the only one that has had this issue with there vehicles, I have heard tons of opinions stating the same thing! I learned the hard way though!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 PM

I do plan to use dry filter.

However, I have used K&N since '95 on all my vehicles, and have never had an issue. I recently swapped out the S&B cone (oiled gauze) filter on my other vehicle with an aFe Pro-Dry S. The S&B was on there for over 1 year, and never cleaned. The inside of the MAF was still squeaky clean.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Scottman-

I have heard of similar issues as well, but, I have used them in every car I have ever had without issue. One was a 1990 Jeep Cherokee that had a K&N from day one with no issues after owning it for 14 years and over 300,000 miles. Same goes for my other vehicles, no issues.

Although, I do believe that the location of the MAF could have a lot to do with the oil issue...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM

^ Even in my Fords with the MAF directly behind the filter, I have not had any issues. K&N used to be about the only guy in town back in the day. Now, we have better dry alternatives like AEM, aFe, and Amsoil. I ended up ordering an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in from Amazon. There was (is) a 25% discount code + free shipping. It came to $45 with tax.

When it gets dirty, I can vacuum it, tap it, or wash it in water when real dirty.

Quick Reply: 09 Air intake options