Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2008 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L seems to be burning oil to quick??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rawyzf
I check mine every 1k or so, and typically go through about 1qt every 5k or so. I use Amsoil, not that it matters....but I don't think I have any issues with having to put in .5qt half way between intervals.
If mine was only using a quart every 5k, I'd be alright with it also. But one quart every 1k or even less is not acceptable in my opinion.

Originally Posted by trdehmer
Well, if you try the AC Delco Upper Engine & Fuel Injector cleaner and it works (and how you applied it) - let us know!
If I every get around to trying it, I will let everyone know how it goes and the steps taken. I just know the process is taxing. Especially for our V8's. The one who I got the info from did it to a 4 banger so it was much easier as the pistons were straight vertical (making for a flat valve cover) and easier to access the plugs. Not the case for us.

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe
I have the 5.7 in my 07 Chrysler 300C, and I use Mobil1 5/20 syn, and a bottle of STP oil treatment in the blue bottle
I might give STP a shot as well. Would be much easier. Been a while since I've used that stuff.

Originally Posted by trdehmer
...local dealer said the specification on that engine allows for a quart of oil used per 1000 miles at my mileage???!!
That's what they told me too. Like I said, I highly doubt any of them are adding a quart every 1k.

Last edited by calamity coyote; 02-16-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
are you guys using 5w 20 oil ?
When I bought it used, it had 81,922 miles on it. Exactly 350 miles later (82,272 miles), I did a complete fluid change to Amsoil (oil, oil filter, transmission, transfer case, front & rear diffs). At that time, I was unaware of how important it was for the MDS system to have 5w-20 so I used 5w-30. Since I'm in Texas, the slightly thicker oil helps reduce burn off due to higher temps. I supplied the fluids and had a local Kwik Kar Lube do the change. Although I had read that the Aspen only needed 7 quarts of oil, I supplied extra fluids for all areas just in case. The tech screwed up and added all 8 quarts of oil I supplied. When I got home and realized it was 1 quart over, I carefully drained out one quart. Since I also had them install a Fumoto drain plug at the same time, this was a fairly easier to do.

4 quarts and 3,200 miles later (85,435 miles), I switched to adding 5w-20 (still Amsoil) per the recommendation in hopes of reducing issues with the MDS. After a while, the MDS did start working better but never stopped tripping codes and I was still using oil. I continued to add 5w-20 for just over 19,000 miles adding about 25 quarts during this time and even tried using Marvel Mystery oil as a substitute for some of those quarts to help. The other forum I talked about was recommending Marvel Mystery oil to help reduce oil consumption as it was to help loosen stuck passages and rings. Since I was continuously adding oil every 800-1000 miles, I saw no need to do a complete oil change. I did however, changed the filter (Amsoil) twice during that time at 91,802 miles & 104,082 miles.

19,390 miles from the first oil change (104,825 miles), I did a complete oil change to 5w-20 Castrol High Mileage (6 quarts Castrol and 1 quart Marvel Mystery Oil) and switched to a Mopar filter. I switched to Castrol as I was getting tired of wasting money on Amsoil if it was just going to burn it. I managed to run almost 1500 miles before I had to add a quart (106,286 miles). Second quart was added at 1100 miles later (107,399 miles). I am currently sitting at 107,644 miles and the oil is showing on the "S" in "Safe" on the dipstick.

So yes, I am currently running 5w-20 and I am still burning oil. I don't get black smoke from the exhaust but I do see a little white smoke when I get heavy in to the throttle (which I do quite frequently to get around traffic). I am fairly certain that I have a stuck piston ring and I'm betting it is on cylinder #6 since that's the one I'm having issues with for the MDS solinoid.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 PM

2008 5.7 with 144k. I also have some oil loss, no signs of it anywhere either. Haven't quantified it yet so to speak but from what I can remember it is more than quart every 5k. Probably every 2.5k even. But I plan on starting to monitor it though. Just changed it out last month and haven't checked since. Currently using Mobil 1 5w20 High Mileage. I wonder a little if it is burning it somewhere...I get poor mpg imo and wonder if it is messing with it by doing so.

I feel like the QC on these engines and specs etc were not exactly a high priority for Chrysler. But they seem to last long enough either way just don't run it dry. I just hope it's not my optimism talking.

Last edited by themps; 02-16-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

over 100k normal to use 1 qt per 1000 miles

Old 02-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
over 100k normal to use 1 qt per 1000 miles
But mine was burning a quart in less than 1000 miles back at 82,000 miles.

Originally Posted by themps
I feel like the QC on these engines and specs etc were not exactly a high priority for Chrysler.
I have to agree. Furthermore, hearing mechanics for Chrysler stating that this is normal also doesn't say much for their quality.
My 89' Ford Festiva has over 180,000 miles and didn't burn oil.
My 03' Honda Accord has over 138,000 miles and didn't burn oil.
My dad's 98' Honda Civic has over 160,000 miles and doesn't burn oil.
My 95' Ford Ranger has over 330,000 miles and didn't burn oil. The Ranger has a audio system in the bed that puts it the over the GAWR and has had that weight for about 200,000 of those miles. I even pulled double trailers with all that to the lake several years ago. One small flatbed trailer with all the camping gear and a second trailer with the jet ski trailer the flatbed.

The Aspen is my first Dodge / Chrysler vehicle I've owned. I have encountered more issues with it in only 25,000 miles than I have with any of my other vehicles (with many more miles).

Old 03-01-2019, 06:33 PM

2008 5.7 with 144k. I also have some oil loss, no signs of it anywhere either. Haven't quantified it yet so to speak but from what I can remember it is more than quart every 5k. Probably every 2.5k even. But I plan on starting to monitor it though. Just changed it out last month and haven't checked since. Currently using Mobil 1 5w20 High Mileage. I wonder a little if it is burning it somewhere...I get poor mpg imo and wonder if it is messing with it by doing so.

I feel like the QC on these engines and specs etc were not exactly a high priority for Chrysler. But they seem to last long enough either way just don't run it dry. I just hope it's not my optimism talking.
Just checked. 1,650 miles since putting in Mobil 1 5w20 HM. About 1.5 qts short. I'm in the same boat. Put a brand new mopar pcv a few months ago

Hey Chrysler Tech, have you done any maintenance on these pcv systems or happen to know anything about them?
​​
​​​​​​I have a feeling that might be the main issue. Versus rings etc. The tube at the top of the filler is decently wet too

Last edited by themps; 03-01-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Just checked. 1,650 miles since putting in Mobil 1 5w20 HM. About 1.5 qts short. I'm in the same boat. Put a brand new mopar pcv a few months ago

Hey Chrysler Tech, have you done any maintenance on these pcv systems or happen to know anything about them?
​​
​​​​​​I have a feeling that might be the main issue. Versus rings etc. The tube at the top of the filler is decently wet too
I tried replacing the PCV as well shortly after I noticed I was loosing oil. Didn't help me either. Funny you mention a "wet" filler tube. Forgot all about that. I've been noticing some water on the bottom side of the oil cap when I remove it also. Have to shake it off almost every time I go to add oil.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:53 PM

I have not worked with your 5.7 motors...BUT PCV system operation (correct) needs to have good equalizing air flow(that tube from the air cleaner housing to the motor), and no sludge up of passages in the intake manifold and such so that at the pcv valve does not create too much suction and actually pull out more oil vapor than it should.
Back in the day of common V8's some makes were notorious for passages to plug up, I can remember working on a number of Ford and Chevy motors for that. It's not "quick and easy" work and most places or owners would not want to take the time or expense for such in depth doings. Yes, today's synth. oils and such may reduce the sludge from those of years past, but passages and tolerances have "tightened up" a lot on today's motors also to consider.
Good luck to the people involved here in finding the root cause and cutting down that rather high consumption!

Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
I tried replacing the PCV as well shortly after I noticed I was loosing oil. Didn't help me either. Funny you mention a "wet" filler tube. Forgot all about that. I've been noticing some water on the bottom side of the oil cap when I remove it also. Have to shake it off almost every time I go to add oil.
Yeah same here. After I noticed it I started searching around. Happens more in winter I think.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...iller-cap.html

Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM

Anybody done any more research to determine what might be causing too much oil to be burned? I'm likely using more than a quart per 1000 miles, nothing seems to be coming out of the exhaust, and nothing is dripping anywhere.

Would a compression test, or leak down test help diagnose if its a stuck ring or otherwise? Not sure where to start, but pretty sure I'll have to give guidance to a mechanic on where to start the investigation.... Could it be valves?

Any specific additives I can add to the oil or gas that might help the issue, or help diagnose where the issue is coming from? Could it be as simple as a PCV valve gone bad?

Last edited by trdehmer; 06-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L seems to be burning oil to quick??