Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2008 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L seems to be burning oil to quick??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by trdehmer
Anybody done any more research to determine what might be causing too much oil to be burned? I'm likely using more than a quart per 1000 miles, nothing seems to be coming out of the exhaust, and nothing is dripping anywhere.

Would a compression test, or leak down test help diagnose if its a stuck ring or otherwise? Not sure where to start, but pretty sure I'll have to give guidance to a mechanic on where to start the investigation.... Could it be valves?

Any specific additives I can add to the oil or gas that might help the issue, or help diagnose where the issue is coming from?
I added a bottle of marvel mystery oil to replace the quart I lost. It seemed to be better after that. Not fixed but better.

I am pretty sure it's just being sucked up through the pcv/whatever system and burnt. I find too much trace amounts of oil in the intake. My guess is there is build up in a poorly designed or too small little galley ways (I think that is what they are called) in the engine that are gunking up causing am imbalance and sending more through the tube at the top of the oil cap and into in the intake (then burnt). The MMO cleans those passage ways up temporarily alleviating the problem. But I'm not an engine designer or anything lol. I'd use a high mileage full synthetic to gradually clean it. But my issue has seemed to be less of an issue than it was before.

Last edited by themps; 06-18-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanks. I have been using a high mileage oil last oil change. Prior, just a top quality 5W-20 full synthetic oil.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanks. I have been using a high mileage oil last oil change. Prior, just a top quality 5W-20 full synthetic oil.
Yeah I would stick with it for a while. Maybe even from now on. Then top off with mmo. It should help some. It will take time for the hm oil to clean it up. But that is ok. It's not really good to flush an give all at once anyway. Another thing to do would be checking and cleaning or replacing your PCV.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Picking up a new PCV valve on the way home. For $30, might as well change it.

Originally Posted by themps
Yeah I would stick with it for a while. Maybe even from now on. Then top off with mmo. It should help some. It will take time for the hm oil to clean it up. But that is ok. It's not really good to flush an give all at once anyway. Another thing to do would be checking and cleaning or replacing your PCV.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:13 PM

Picking up a new PCV valve on the way home. For $30, might as well change it.
I'm looking at purchasing a 07 Aspen but previously had a 06 Hemi Commander.. I did some research then on the poorly designed PCV and the suggested help was an lil catch can in the system. Pulling the lil mist from the system before can enter the intake.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION GUIDELINE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 09-007-18, Date of Issue: July 31, 2018 CHRYSLER: 2012 - 2019 (FCA Group Gas Vehicles) (ALL) GROUP: 09 - Engine Superceded Bulletin(s): 09-007-15, Date of Issue: July 31, 2015 NOTE: THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 09-007-15, DATED JULY 31, 2015, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES UPDATES TO MODELS AND OIL CONSUMPTION SECTION. SUBJECT Engine Oil Consumption Guideline MODELS MODELS CHART **2012 - 2019 ALL) (FCA Group Gas Vehicles) NOTE: This bulletin applies to all 2012 - 2019 FCA US LLC vehicles equipped with gasoline engines.** DISCUSSION Engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. Varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines. Oil Consumption **The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 2, 000 miles (3, 200 km) for the 1st 50, 000 miles (80, 467 km).** NOTE: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that is driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule. NOTE: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). See Causes for Oil Consumption section below. Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and Commercial customers. There are many factors that can affect an Owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance varies from owner to owner. Inspect each condition listed below prior to determining if the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption. If abnormal oil consumption is suspected, refer to the detailed diagnostic procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 09 - Engine> Diagnosis and Testing - Oil Consumption Test And Diagnosis. Diagnosis Of Oil Consumption Gasket And External Leaks Thoroughly inspect the oil pan and engine intake manifold for leakage due to over tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Oil Leaks Inspect all oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage. Verify oil filter is at proper torque and oil filter gasket is not out of place. Improper Reading Of The Oil Level Indicator On Dipstick Verify that the dipstick is fully seated in the tube. Verify the dipstick tube is fully seated in the engine block. When checking the oil level, make sure the vehicle is on a level surface and the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. Refer to proper service or owner's manual for level check procedure on a specific engine. NOTE: The dipstick must be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked. CAUTION: **Operating the vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage. Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranties.** Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. The vehicle should be allowed to sit for a minimum 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. To ensure an accurate reading, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the previous time the oil level was checked. Under Or Over Oil Fill After An Oil Change After an oil change, verify that the proper amount of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information for information on recommended oil quantity. Correct Oil Type Verify the vehicle has the correct oil. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information for information on recommended oil viscosity and quality. Crankcase Ventilation System Verify that the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Blockages, restrictions or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use. Oil Dilution (Fuel And Water) On vehicles that are normally driven short distances, less than 5 miles (8 km), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption. Causes For Oil Consumption Aggressive Driving Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3, 000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent intervals, to verify the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil level should be checked every time you get fuel. Towing Or Heavy Usage Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds increasing the rate of oil consumption. Engine Wear Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will cause an increase in oil consumption. Engine Temperature If an engine is running at overheated temperatures for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order. POLICY Information Only

Old 09-16-2019, 06:42 PM

My 07' Aspen Limited with 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, was using a little to much so I added the blue bottle of STP with the 5-20 high mileage synthetic super tech oil and it seems to have stopped using it and MDS system working just fine; have 151,000 on it. Same engine in my 08 RAM 1500 but it never uses any oil, use super tech 5-20 high mileage conventional oil in it, it has 107,000 miles on it.