Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Alternator output in amps at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Default Alternator output in amps at idle

Does anyone know alternator maximum output in amps at idle? Idle is about 650 rpm.

Reason for asking is that I had to idle vehicle at night for heat. Started several times. Was afraid of running down battery.

When arrived home, a couple of days later, I checked battery voltage.

Here is what I did. Voltage at battery without engine running was about 13.15. Had to guess at last number. Started engine. Turned on front and rear fans, and turned on head lights. Checked voltage at battery. Voltage was 15 volts. Turned off one fan, voltage still at 15. Turned off other fan, headlights, and voltage still at 15.

As voltage on battery terminals was 15, battery was being charged.

Checked manual. Appears alternator is grounded for max output in amps.

Does anyone know what alternator output, in amps, is at idle speed of 650 rpm?

Thanks for reading. Just hope someone knows alternator output at idle.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

The output will change based off the needs of the car. Its not a full output system of system like some fords and such.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 PM

Manual states alternator output will change if needed even to max output as computer can ground field in alternator.

Max output, even if field grounded, at 650 rpm is not as great at 1000 rpm or even 2000 rpm. Based upon how fast rotor (armature) cuts the magnetic lines of flux.

I have an old rpm/dwell/points resistance/and amp meter. Major problem. I cannot find it. And cannot pay money for amp meter with shunt.

Therefore, do you have any idea, does not have to be exact, as to what the max output would be at idle. Like 10 amps, or 20 amps, or 40 amps?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

why dont you tell me what your trying to do

Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Default Required amps

What am I trying to do? Trying to ensure can survive a winter night, or as long as needed, in the Aspen while staying warm enough, while not running out of gas, able to keep starting engine as needed, and still drive to gas station.

Do not want to idle all night as uses a lot of gas and builds up carbon. Starting engine uses battery charge. Manual does not state idle speed for minimum gas consumption and maximum heat.

After engine warms up, use both fans to warm up Aspen as fast as possible.

Do not know how much charge is being put into battery as opposed to charge taken out between start ups

Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

ok your way over thinking this siuation First of all the battery is used to start the car nothing more. The alternator charges back up the battery with what ever amps are used to starte it then the alternator uses the rest of the time to run all the items on the car when in use. SO by doing what you want will not effect the battery what so ever the battery is ONLY a means to ge the engine running and alternator runs the rest when running. The battery also serves as a buffer and complete the systems electrical circuit. SO in all in all you have no worry about starting the car up in the middle of the night if your stuck somewhere in a snow storm.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks.

If I am ever stuck again, I will fell a lot better knowing I am not running down the battery.