Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Anyone with chrome air deflector? Help needed please!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Default Anyone with chrome air deflector? Help needed please!

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions I have about adding the Mopar chrome air deflector to my Aspen. I have a cool vanilla and just added the chrome billet fuel door. I have quite a bit of chrome on it and would love to have the chrome air deflector as well. It would be icing on the cake so to speak.

When I pull up the pdf on installation, it says you have to drill four holes from the underneath side of the hood. Has anyone installed it themselves or did your dealer install it.

If you installed it yourself, how far do you drill into the underneath side of the hood??? I'm not keen on drilling into my hood and just want to avoid giving rust a way in.

Is it hard to clean under it? Does water get trapped under the deflector?

If your dealer installed it; how much did they charge you for labor???

Last question: would you buy it and have it installed again?

Thanks for any help or assistance. I bought my Aspen (aka: Big Bertha) to keep for a very very very long time. I fell in love with it after searching for the perfect crossover or suv for three months. I was SOOOOO close to buying a Mercedes R350 and had a great deal on the table.There was just something about it that kept me from signing the dotted line. Mainly...a 6 cyl. on a beasty heavy car, low mpg and high maintenance cost. The deal was great.....$ 39,000 for a car listed at $ 55,000. Reviews were either they loved it or hated it!!! No in betweens.

Most reviews I read on the Aspen were great. I've had four back surgeries and when I drove it, I knew it was the truck for me. In my Sienna, my back would kill me. I have NO pain in my Aspen whether driving or sitting in the passenger seat. So, I'll keep her.

Happy New Year to all!!!!!!!!

08AspenMom - my name on the Acura Legend board...lol

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Default RE: Anyone with chrome air deflector? Help needed please!

GO FOR IT,I HAD MINE INSTALLED AT A LOCAL TRUCK STORE FOR $6.00,LOOKS GOOD INSTALL TOOK ABOUT 10 MIN. DEALER WILL MOST LIKLEY CHARGE FOR ONE HOUR LABOR AT LEAST THEY GOTTA MAKE UP FOR SLOW SALES.NO YOU CANT CLEAN UNDER IT VERY EASY.YES I WOULD INSTALL ANOTHER ONE IF I HAD TOO THEY SET THE ASPEN OFF. THEY ARE SOME PICTURES ON THIS FORUM OF A CHROME SHIELD INSTALLED, MY ASPEN IS MARINE BLUE, CHROME SHIELD SETS IT OFF, GOOD LUCK.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM

I would imagine that you would only have to drill thru one layer of the steel on the underside of the hood for install. As you definitely don't want to come thru the top of the hood. Look at it like its just a hole for the screw to go into and hold it on.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM

I've installed several on other vehicles. Unless you can't turn a screwdriver, nor operate a drill, install it yourself. You only drill through the first layer of metal underhood. There's a space between it and the actual visible hood. You'd really have to be careless to drill all the way through. To prevent rust, use touch-up paint on the holes, and apply clear silicone to the screws. I've never had a problem rusting. Clean your hood (top and bottom), and apply a good sealant/wax prior to installing the hood deflector. You can usually still clean under them after installed, but it is obviously more difficult.

I've been interested in the chrome one as well. I can't justify the cost yet, and being Mopar, you shouldn't have to drill. On most Fords, the official Ford accessory shields are "snap-on" (no drilling!).

In summary, I guess if you're paying top $ for a bug shield, you might as well ask the dealer how much to install also. For a $50 black one (how much they should be), I'd say NO. However, if you're already spending $130+ on the shield, another $40 won't kill you.

Last edited by kkreit01; 01-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.