Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen gear selector readout and radio remain on

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Default Aspen gear selector readout and radio remain on

I searched and found nothing on this, but I'm hoping someone else might have an idea what the problem could be. More often than not, when I turn the ignition off, the gear selector readout on the dash remains on and when I go to exit the truck, the door chimes like I've left the keys in the ignition. I have to put the key back in and jiggle it a little before it recognizes that the ignition is actually off. Anyone else have this problem? Is it the ignition switch going bad?
TIA!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Can you please provide more details, i.e. what model year vehicle are you referring to?
What type of engine is the vehicle equipped with?
Are there any fault codes? etc.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
Can you please provide more details, i.e. what model year vehicle are you referring to?
What type of engine is the vehicle equipped with?
Are there any fault codes? etc.

It's an '07 Aspen 4.7L flex fuel. Approx 85K miles. We've owned it since 2007 and have always had the occasional problem of shifting to reverse and having it slip back into neutral but this problem seems separate from that. No fault codes.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:28 PM

That sounds like it could be an issue with the key-in ignition switch and/or the ignition key cylinder. Do you have a lot of weight on your key ring?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
That sounds like it could be an issue with the key-in ignition switch and/or the ignition key cylinder. Do you have a lot of weight on your key ring?
Not a lot of weight on the key ring. Just the key for the Aspen, the key to my husband's car and a house key.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 PM

If putting the key back in the ignition switch and jiggling it cures the problem, it sounds like the ignition key cylinder is worn and needs to be replaced.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
If putting the key back in the ignition switch and jiggling it cures the problem, it sounds like the ignition key cylinder is worn and needs to be replaced.
Okay, thanks for your help!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Amy Brown
It's an '07 Aspen 4.7L flex fuel. Approx 85K miles. We've owned it since 2007 and have always had the occasional problem of shifting to reverse and having it slip back into neutral but this problem seems separate from that. No fault codes.
Hi Amy,

After some investigation, the vehicle may need to have the PCM software updated. Below is a service bulletin that may help resolve some of the concerns your experiencing. I've included it below for your review:

TSB 18-035-07

SUBJECT:
FLASH: 545RFE Transmission Defaults To Neutral

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 545RFE transmission (sale code DGQ) built on or before March 26, 2007

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The transmission may default into neutral gear if the transmission gear selector is moved into “reverse gear range” under certain operating conditions.
The default into neutral gear is done to protect the transmission mechanical components from potential damage. New PCM software will monitor transmission hydraulic pressure and allow reverse gear engagement, if the transmission is in “reverse gear range” and the
transmission hydraulic pressure is sufficient to support reverse gear operation.

Labor Time = Aproximately 0.4 Hrs.