Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen P3425 & now gascap light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Default Aspen P3425 & now gascap light on

Hello
I need some help. I can drive my 2007 Aspen but I am fearful at some point it will stop running.
It is throwing a code of p3425 which is the MDS solenoid 4.
That has been happening for a week. As of yesterday the gascap light has come on. I replaced the gascap today and it is still on. I am hoping at some point it will go off.
Can the p3425 code and gascap light be connected?
I am going to have the solenoid replaced. I hope after that it will be ok.
I would appreciate any input from anyone. I am frustrated to the point of looking for a new vehicle.
Thanks
Rose

Old 06-18-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RoseAspen
Hello
I need some help. I can drive my 2007 Aspen but I am fearful at some point it will stop running.
It is throwing a code of p3425 which is the MDS solenoid 4.
That has been happening for a week. As of yesterday the gascap light has come on. I replaced the gascap today and it is still on. I am hoping at some point it will go off.
Can the p3425 code and gascap light be connected?
I am going to have the solenoid replaced. I hope after that it will be ok.
I would appreciate any input from anyone. I am frustrated to the point of looking for a new vehicle.
Thanks
Rose
RoseAspen,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Aspen.
This code is for the MDS solenoid, essentially a component used in controlling the transition from 8 cylinders to 4.
There's no indication this would be related to the gas cap issue however it is impossible to tell without having the vehicle scanned.
Perhaps a trip to a Chrysler dealer may be appropriate as they have the code to work with.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Hello Rose,

I'm assuming your vehicle is equipped with a 5.7L HEMI engine. Power is supplied to each MDS Solenoid when the engine is making a transition from 8 cylinder mode to 4 cylinder mode. By actuating the solenoid, oil pressure is raised to the pair of lifters that coincide with each particular solenoid. The oil pressure pushes in the locking pins that allows the lifter to collapse, decoupling the valves and camshaft. When the PCM recognizes a problem with the Solenoid Control circuit it sets that fault code you referred to.

Possible Causes:
(K452) MDS SOLENOID NO.4 CONTROL SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(K452) MDS SOLENOID NO.4 CONTROL SHORT TO GROUND
(K452) MDS SOLENOID NO.4 CONTROL OPEN
(Z903) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
MDS SOLENOID NO.4
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Is the vehicle experiencing any other symptoms other than the P- Fault code? There is a TSB to improve MDS operation for this model vehicle. I've included it below for your review:

TSb 18-006-10 Rev. C

SUBJECT:
Flash: MDS Driveability Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customers may experience that the vehicle has a harsh engagement or has a
buck/jerking feeling at low speeds of around 12 mph (19 kmh) to 15 mph (24 kmh). The customer may also experience a harsh engagement or buck/jerking feeling during highway cruise control operation from 65 mph (105 kmh) to 75 mph (121 kmh). These conditions are caused by excessive MDS transitions.
The MDS low speed engagement point has been changed to 21 mph (34 kmh). In addition to the MDS low speed engagement change, enhancements from V8 to V4 and V4 to V8 in all ambient temperatures and operating ranges have been made to make all the transition less noticeable to the customer.

Good luck on getting this issue resolved real soon!

Tony

Senior Staff
Chrysler World Headquarters
Auburn Hills, Michigan

Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Default P code

I do notice some slight jerking like a ratteling feeling at higher speeds on the expressway. I have not noticed anything on lower speeds. Our plan is to replace solenoid four and see if that fixes the problem.
I would like to take it to a Chrysler dealer but honestly I cannot afford a huge repair bill at this time.
Do you think this is the place to start? Replacing the solenoid?

Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 PM

That's where I'd start, and it's a relatively easy repair IMO.