Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Battery Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Default Battery Test

I got an oil change over the weekend, and they tested my battery as a "courtesy". This is a quick place where you stay in the vehicle during the oil change, which I like because I can make sure they're putting the correct oil in, etc.

Anyway, right after I shut the truck off, they had me restart it for something, and then shut it back down. They then IMMEDIATELY tested the battery, and - surprise! - it came back as needing replacement. I'm guessing the fact that I had just loaded the battery up by starting it would result in the cold cranking amps being reduced. The battery is rated for 750 CCA, and it tested for 558 CCA and 12.73V.

The engine fired right up without hesitation after the oil change, and has been fine. Anyone know if the test is within normal limits considering the truck was just started and shut down, or do I really need to be considering a new battery?

Thanks for your help. And yes, they were only too glad to try to sell me a new battery...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

visit a parts store and have them run the same test on it see what they say with u looking right at it.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Ok...Lets go old school for a few moments......

Pull the fuel pump fuse out..... Note the battery voltage on a Multimeter. Crank the car for 10 seconds .....and observe the Meter....

At the end of the 10 second crank, wait another ten seconds...and check the meter....It should return to within 1 volt of where it started.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM

How about real old school: don't replace it until it DOESN'T start your car. Keep a spare one in your garage if you are paranoid. I'd also stay out of the quickie lubes.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Agree with all the above. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The quickie lubes and many of the tire places ALWAYS find something "wrong" with your car.

Perfect example: My wife always took her Explorer to a tire change place around the corner to change her oil. They ALWAYS, never failed, they would always call and tell her about something wrong with her car that needed attention. They started with her brakes. They did this for about 3 different oil changes in a row. She got panicky, so I finally decided to change her brakes out. They were only 50% gone! I changed out a company trucks brakes at the same time that had gotten to the "warning screech". I showed her the difference so she could see for herself. If she goes to these places she ignores (pretty much) what they tell her until I check it out.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Quickie Lubes = Bend over please, your vehicle is broke

Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Epilogue:

In this rare instance, Valvoline Instant Oil Change wasn't trying to fleece me. The battery died today, and I replaced it in 10 minutes.

The stock battery only lasted three years, which seems like a short life for a stock battery. I usually get at least 4-5 years.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

3 years is good much more electronics on today's SUVs

Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the input. By the way, do you know if there's a real benefit to replacing the "blanket" insulation material around the stock battery? It all but disintegrated when I removed it, and I left the new battery without it.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

a protection devise to help keep heat away from the battery

Quick Reply: Battery Test