Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Brakes squeal only when hot and not applied

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Default Brakes squeal only when hot and not applied

I have a loud squeal in the rear brakes that only occurs after the brakes get hot (after a few hills) and only while coasting. The noise disappears while the brakes are applied. I changed all the pads/rotors about 18 months ago with the best pads I could find, and from what I can see on the front set, there is still a decent amount of pad left. I haven't had a chance to take the rear tires off and have a look yet, but I would assume that since the front brakes do most of the stopping, the rear pads should have at least as much or more of it left. Also, if it were the pads, then shouldn't I hear the noise when the brakes are cool as well? I have a service appointment booked for next week, but I'd like to go in with some ideas as to the problem so I'm not taken for a ride.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM

When they take off the wheels make them take you back to the car and show you what you need. Don't just accept a blind quote. As for back brakes lasting longer, that's not always the case anymore. That old school nose dive 80-20 braking is not considered "good engineering" anymore.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-20-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks. That's good info to know. I will take a look when I go in. Just outside now to take off the rear tires to have a peek. Where is the rear jack location? The picture in the manual makes it look like it's on the axle. Is that right?

Thanks again!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by brewman
Thanks. That's good info to know. I will take a look when I go in. Just outside now to take off the rear tires to have a peek. Where is the rear jack location? The picture in the manual makes it look like it's on the axle. Is that right?

Thanks again!
Under the second row seat. I wouldn't use those. Total PITA..lol. Go down to a parts store like Pep Boys and get yourself a floor jack. When I go on long trips I take mine with me in my Ram. No way am I using that little screw thing on the side of the road!

Last edited by TNtech; 08-21-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

racing jack - the only way to go...not very mobile, but beats the #%#% out of a generic floor jack that'll take 15 pumps to lift the vehicle off the ground.

Either way - the rotor may be warped. Do you feel any pulsing?

How about the caliper? I had a Sport Trac with 70K on it and the damn caliper seized up on me (both rear calipers). Had to replace them both. Any time I hit the brakes, the calipers would compress and squeel the pads. It would do that until the system pressure decreased and barely backed the pads off. I wouldn't put it past seizing calipers, although it's unlikely.