Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Chrysler Aspen Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Default Chrysler Aspen Vibration

Hi all,

I've got a 2007 Chrysler Aspen I bought about 6 months ago. (72k Miles on it). Just recently my wife noticed a vibration when she first starts driving it in the morning to work. It isn't in the stirring wheel or is it a shimmy, you feel it in the floor boards. Like a rubbing sound like a car trying to start off in a higher gear. Here is the kicker, it's only while it is still warming up. It quits after the car warms up. It is a 5.7L HEMI limited AWD. It's not a tire balance problem, I've had that done already. It's only when you accelerate and under 30 mph. Then it shifts into 3rd or 4th gear and makes another vibration then stops. Again all this stops after the car heats up.

I've been reading about the MDS system and how it can cause issues with vibrations when at lower speeds, however it goes away after the car warms up. It has never done this before. I'm really stuck on this one. Where do I start?

Thanks in advance guys,

Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 PM

MDS is not active when you start up in the morning. There are certain coolant temp and oil temp/pressure parameters that have to be set before the PCM will activate the MDS.

To rule it out altogether engage tow/haul mode upon startup, when in tow/haul mode MDS is disabled. This will eliminate/confirm your thoughts about MDS being the cause. Tow/haul mode changes shift points for the transmission so you will experience a later upshift and an earlier downshift in this mode.

Vibration. Maybe this is transmission clutch chatter until the fluid warms. Known in the trade as "morning sickness"?

The 545RFE family of transmissions have an issue with the SSV valve wearing and bleeding pressure. SSV stands for Solenoid Switch Valve and it is located in the valve body.

Doubt there are problems inside the valve body? Check out the part # suffix on a replacement, it currently is K which suggest many revisions and updates. That and the fact that even when you buy one new it is marked as an RL relabeled part with a core charge. Chrysler is trying to accumulate cores to begin an exchange program.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Sine, thanks!

I have noticed a small leak of fluid near the middle of the engine compartment. It isn't oil it's red and only leaks a very small amount. Should I take this to a transmission shop and have them look into this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:23 AM

I have the same problem, did you ever find the solution? I am stumped also!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Zach Elwood
Hi all,

I've got a 2007 Chrysler Aspen I bought about 6 months ago. (72k Miles on it). Just recently my wife noticed a vibration when she first starts driving it in the morning to work. It isn't in the stirring wheel or is it a shimmy, you feel it in the floor boards. Like a rubbing sound like a car trying to start off in a higher gear. Here is the kicker, it's only while it is still warming up. It quits after the car warms up. It is a 5.7L HEMI limited AWD. It's not a tire balance problem, I've had that done already. It's only when you accelerate and under 30 mph. Then it shifts into 3rd or 4th gear and makes another vibration then stops. Again all this stops after the car heats up.

I've been reading about the MDS system and how it can cause issues with vibrations when at lower speeds, however it goes away after the car warms up. It has never done this before. I'm really stuck on this one. Where do I start?

Thanks in advance guys,

Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM

There have been issues discussed on the Durango forums with exhaust vibrations/resonance when the engine is cold.