Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

ESP/BAS warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Default ESP/BAS warning lights

Recently both steering rack and tie rods were replaced on my 07 Aspen Limited AWD (5.7 Hemi) with 35k. Everything works fine ( no warning lights on) at startup until I turn the steering wheel in any direction then ESP/BAS warning lights come on. When I start it up again the ESP/BAS light stays off until I turn the steering wheel slightly then they come on. The mechanic said over time these lights will "learn " to go off at startup. Really? It sounds to me like a sensor's triggering something. Anybody else experienced this problem?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kevcot
Recently both steering rack and tie rods were replaced on my 07 Aspen Limited AWD (5.7 Hemi) with 35k. Everything works fine ( no warning lights on) at startup until I turn the steering wheel in any direction then ESP/BAS warning lights come on. When I start it up again the ESP/BAS light stays off until I turn the steering wheel slightly then they come on. The mechanic said over time these lights will "learn " to go off at startup. Really? It sounds to me like a sensor's triggering something. Anybody else experienced this problem?
Is your steering wheel off-center? If it's coming on every time I bet the alignment's off. The steering angle sensor should only have to be initialized once, which is what you're doing when you do the steering wheel dance. It will need it again if a module is reset or the battery is disconnected.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-28-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Here's the conclusion to this story if anybody experiences the same problem. Save yourself same of the grief I experienced. The clock spring on the steering wheel snapped when the new rack was installed because the steering wheel wasn't properly blocked. The steering sensor was ok. $350 later for the part and an hour of labor everything's back to normal. Because the original "mechanic " was a friend we split the new repair cost! The original repair was done 6 month's ago and what I didn't know was I had no anti lock breaks during that time. Live and learn !

Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Why no ABS? It's a clock spring.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tinman
Why no ABS? It's a clock spring.
The steering angle sensor is part of the ESP...which is a function of ABS controller. No SAS input then you have no ESP.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
The steering angle sensor is part of the ESP...which is a function of ABS controller. No SAS input then you have no ESP.
Thank you.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Default ESP/BAS Traction Control Warning Light

I have a 2008 Chrysler 300 Signature Series. I recently had two recall issues serviced at my local Chrysler Dealer (Arrigo). One recall was for the ignition switch, and the other was to replace the drivers side airbag unit. Shortly after having this service work done, the ESP/BAS and traction control lights started coming on.

The owners manual suggests turning the wheels fully to the left and then right and the sensor would reset and it did. When I would make a sharp right turn, the lights would come back on. Could this be related somehow to the repairs that were made?