Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Front and Rear Axle Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Default Front and Rear Axle Fluid Change

Hey guys - I'm coming up to my 50,000km service (sorry I'm from Canada - no miles up here). I got my differential fluid changed by the stealership at 25,000km (following the maintenance schedule) for $250 - I just about choked.

Anyways, I want to change it myself this time, do you know of a DIY for our truck anywhere? maybe with pics? not sure if there's gaskets on ours, what's the proper way to drain, etc. I have the alldata disc for it but it doesn't really say anything about the proper method to use.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Default Anybody?

Someone must have done this before and could help out a newbie!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 AM

I have not changed mine yet on my Aspen but, every Mopar that I have done in the past several years has used RTV. Remove the cover, let it drain, RTV it, fill it back up. Also, I have not looked into whether or not all the Aspens have open diffs or if it was an option to have an LSD (chrysler tech could probably answer that). If so, you would need a friction modifier. Now, for the opinion side of my post. I am assuming you have the lifetime power train warranty. If it was me, I would not take the risk of trying to argue a warranty issue if you lose a c-clip or anything else in the diff. If they change it, it should not be an issue if there is a problem. You spent that much on the Aspen, I would chalk it up and spend the 200 (assuming you spend you invest about 50 in parts).

Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM

I've never, ever, ever had to pull a cover on a differential to drain or fill. Everyone I've touched (Fords ONLY) have had a drain plug. That's a total B to have to pull the cover.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 AM

I was just told today that this service has to be done every 18,000 miles. I have an maintenance warrantee that I felt like a sucker getting when I bought the aspen. Now I have over a third of it paid so far just from rental fees when I drop off the aspen every 3000 miles for an oil change. They have to give you a rental for a day. Now the diffs, spark plugs, and whatever else comes up feels much more comfortable knowing they are going to be covered. Didn't realize these Aspens need to be babied so much from the service department. None of the toyotas I've owned spend 1 day in the shop.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM

^ You got hosed all the way around. Aspen does not need 3000 OCIs for starters.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by kkreit01
^ You got hosed all the way around. Aspen does not need 3000 OCIs for starters.
just wait until you want to use your powertrain warranty and miss an oil change or diff fluid change twice or spark plug change all before 36k because it does not need it. Your lifetime warranty is void. Call your dealer if you don't believe me.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
just wait until you want to use your powertrain warranty and miss an oil change or diff fluid change twice or spark plug change all before 36k because it does not need it. Your lifetime warranty is void. Call your dealer if you don't believe me.
Mine's used, so I don't have to worry about that.

18K for a pumpkin fluid change is absurd. Most cars are nearly 100K. Mine's at 40K and it's probably only been done once. There should be no contaminants that degrade the axle fluid. Use some synthetic the next time you change it and throw in some friction modifier. I've raced my tbirds in the past and given those rear ends some hell, and it's taken 15-20K of hardcore beating on a 3.73 or 4.10 trac-lock rear end to even get a little whine.

Seriously, a pumpkin can be rebuilt with a trac-lock rear end (posi-track, whatever the hell Chrysler calls it), for what you'd spend in 3 or 4 fluid changes. Does anyone really think you're going to get serious whine or slippage in an axle in 50K? The manual must have included that frequency for someone who's towing 8000 pounds on a daily basis.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
I follow my manual to a "T". Oil changes are 6k/6mo/OLM -- whichever comes first. Spark plugs will be every 30k. IIRC, they changed the spec on the diff changes in 09. Either way, I only have 7k mi now. Some local dealers still push the 3000 mi oil changes -- because of course it's $ in their pocket. At least you are taking advantage of your maintenance plan -- if you paid for it. They count on people not using it -- thus it's even more $ in their pocket.