Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Oil Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Default Oil Filter Change

I just changed my oil and filter in my '07 Aspen for the first time. Dealer gave me three freebies. How in the world do you change that filter without making a huge mess. The filter mounts vertically and when you unscrew it, oil comes down the filter and then of course, down your arm[:@] Suggestions.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Oil Filter Change

hold the drain pan under the filter just loosen filter enough so it lets the oil drain out slow.after oil stops remove filter, i always change my filter first that way the pan is not full of oil. this works for me maybe not you, good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Maybe the trick I used for my Durango will work (haven't changed the Aspen's oil yet so I don't know what the filter clearance looks like underneath the Hemi):

Cut an empty2 liter plastic soda bottle in half. Loosen the filter just enough so it can turn by hand yet not start to drain. Put the plastic bottle half around the filter and squeeze it and turn the filter so it drains, the overflow getting caught in the bottle and not on your arm. When it's done draining, squeeze and turn to get the filter completely off. No mess. All the overflow is caught in the bottle half.
This worked very well for my 00 DUrango with the 4.7 that whose filter was almost vertical. Hope it works. One last recommendation - get a Fumoto oil drain valve to replace you drain plug. I have one on my Grand Cherokee Hemi. It's a ball valve that eliminates the chance of stripping the oil plug and if you get the one with the nipple, you can put t tubing on it and drain directly into your catch pan in a controlled manner. I've used it on several vehicles with great success and no worries.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks ssaspen. That is a GREAT idea. Wish I could think of stuff like that on my own. The Aspen has a frame/engine mount right in the way. For the life of me, I can't figure out why engineers do this. Where did you find the drain plug you mentioned. I use similar plugs in my other vehicles, but they are pretty slow to drain, and I wish I could find something better. I bought these at Autozone. Again thanks for the help.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM

There is a frame/engine mount blocking access to allow the use of any sort of traditional drain pan.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Do a google for "quickoildrainvalve". I use the one with the nipple so I can attach some tubing to it and flow directly into my drain pan.Works well for my Jeep GC hemi and in the 4.7L Durango I traded in when I bought the Apsen. I'll put in on the Aspen when I do the 1st oil change.