Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Power steering pump cooler and tow package

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:00 AM

I tend to agree that you would probably be better off going OEM. You are talking about 1/4" of difference between the ID of the lines. This tells me that the tubing on the cooler itself is also this small throughout. Although this is better than having no cooler at all like you've been running, it's still not what the manufacture designed for. When I added the cooler to my Accord, I had to modify the hoses yes, but the tubing for the cooler was the same size so I was not restricting flow. That along with the need to custom mount the cooler, just seems better to go OEM.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 PM

Update:
I went mopar/oem. Bought the cooler and return hose line (which came with two new sprint clamp/tension clamps). I took the old cooler off from underneath. Two 13mm bolts. Came out easily. Just pushed the plastic molding in the front of the cooler on the bumper some to get to the everything fully.

Took the spring clamp off the hose coming from the rack. A bit of a beast to get off the reservoir because of the position of it. Took a while. Drained the atf fluid, not much came out. Half a quart maybe.

At this point I discovered the idiot that did this "fix" previously also cut the hose slightly going to the rack. Making it 5 inches short. No slack in the line.

So.....I was left with replacing the whole line to the rack as well. Or jerry-rigging it. The clamp on the rack end was in such a tight space I didn't have much choice.

I looked around for hose. Went to autozone and they apparently do not have 5/8 ID hose on hand somehow. Apparently having a 5/8 power steering hose is weird/rarity for vehicles. But they did have 1 whole return line in stock meant for my vehicle that was 5/8. Bought it for 20 bucks.

Then I went to home depot and bought a brass 5/8 ID barb splicer (couldn't find anything better locally and it should hold up just fine) to couple the old hose and the new 5 inch cut of the 4 ft hose I bought. Autozone only had some really cheap looking thin black plastic 5/8 coupler that is meant for a heater hose. Didn't like the combo so I went with something metal.

I 'prefilled' the cooler with atf before hooking up since it came with nice rubber caps I could place back on -on the inlet and outlet tube. Trying to avoid adding too much air to the system.

I attached the new cooler with atf in it in front. New return hose to the reservoir and the top cooler tube. Attached barb splicer with old spring clamp to the old hose going to the rack. New SS screw clamp to the other side with the new 5 inch of hose. Hooked up that to the new cooler and screw clamped it down there.

Refilled reservoir with ATF fluid. Left cap off reservoir and turned the wheel back in forth for a long time some of the air came out. But there wasn't much. Hopefully none is trapped in there. Went for a test drive so far so good. Also re tightened the screw clamps because the hose warmed up (which loosens metal) from the 20 ish degree environment it was in. Might recheck them in the next month or so to make sure they are still tight enough.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures or anything. I was in a time crunch and working in a poorly lit garage anyway. I might take some and update pics just because in the future might help someone.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Last edited by themps; 02-24-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:42 AM

Glad you got it all back in order. I don't blame you for going the jerry-rigging route either and I agree that using the brass splicer is better than going the plastic route. I would of done the same in that condition. I will add, just be glad you have a garage to work in. I have to do all my work on a gravel drive with no cover.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
Glad you got it all back in order. I don't blame you for going the jerry-rigging route either and I agree that using the brass splicer is better than going the plastic route. I would of done the same in that condition. I will add, just be glad you have a garage to work in. I have to do all my work on a gravel drive with no cover.
Yeah! Definitely thankful for the garage. I usually use bigger old cardboard boxes and lay on them. Very handy for gravel/and even small wet places.

But warning for anyone doing this job... You are going to get ATF all over your hands/arm and smell terrible after lol.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by themps
I usually use bigger old cardboard boxes and lay on them. Very handy for gravel/and even small wet places.
Yep. I've done the cardboard before. I also got a hold of some thin (about 1/8") rubber cork board that was used to help prevent cargo from sliding in the back of a trailer back when I was driving the big trucks. I've got a big roll of that stuff. That helped as well. However, last weekend while replacing the shocks I tried something new. At Walmart they had this 4 piece workout mat set for about $15 I think. It's about 1/2" thick and each piece is about 2' x 2'. With all 4 pieces connected, it's about 4' x 4'. This was the most comfortable by far. Only issue was keeping it down on the ground due to the high winds we had that day. Just put some extra tools on top to hold it. LOL.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
Yep. I've done the cardboard before. I also got a hold of some thin (about 1/8") rubber cork board that was used to help prevent cargo from sliding in the back of a trailer back when I was driving the big trucks. I've got a big roll of that stuff. That helped as well. However, last weekend while replacing the shocks I tried something new. At Walmart they had this 4 piece workout mat set for about $15 I think. It's about 1/2" thick and each piece is about 2' x 2'. With all 4 pieces connected, it's about 4' x 4'. This was the most comfortable by far. Only issue was keeping it down on the ground due to the high winds we had that day. Just put some extra tools on top to hold it. LOL.
Good idea! yeah we have a few in the basement but I might have to try that next time. I'm pretty sure I would have froze to death underneath my car if I tried it outside this past Sunday lol. I stood outside talking to someone in full winter garb and my teeth were involuntary chattering like wind up teeth or something haven't had that happen since I was a kid haha. Spring needs to get here. Amazing the difference a garage can make just getting out of the wind.