Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

question about Transfer Case Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Default question about Transfer Case Fluid Change

Howdy,

OM says to change the transfer case fluid at 150,000. I can't find anywhere what the capacity is or any guidance about how much to put back. Do you just add fluid till it is full and starts running back out of the "add" hole?

I know to "put back same amount as came out" theory, but looking at the area, I think I'm gonna lose some on the frame etc.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

what u do is add it in until u can stick your finger in the hole and bend it down once its on the tip of your finger its full.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
what u do is add it in until u can stick your finger in the hole and bend it down once its on the tip of your finger its full.
Is that seriously how you guys check the fluid level?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

TAKE NOTE OF NUMBER 9 YES THIS IS STANDARD PROCEDURE IF U HAVE A BETTER WAY OF LOOKING INSIDE A REAR DIFF AND SEEING HOW MUCH FLUID IS IN THERE BY ALL MEANS LET ME KNOW.

LUBRICANT CHANGE
1.Raise and support the vehicle.
2.Remove the lubricant fill hole plug from the differential housing cover.
3.Remove the differential housing cover and drain the lubricant from the housing.
4.Clean the housing cavity with a flushing oil, light engine oil, or lint free cloth. Do not use water, steam, kerosene, or gasoline for cleaning.
5.Remove the original sealant from the housing and cover surfaces.
6.Apply a bead of Mopar® Silicone Rubber Sealant, or equivalent, to the housing cover Apply Sealant
Install the housing cover within 5 minutes after applying the sealant.

7.Install the cover and any identification tag. Tighten the cover bolts to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
8.For Trac - lok(TM) and Vari-lok(TM) differentials, a quantity of Mopar® Trac - lok(TM) lubricant (friction modifier), or equivalent, must be added after repair service or a lubricant change. Refer to the Lubricant Specifications section of this group for the quantity necessary.
9.Fill differential with Mopar® Hypoid Gear Lubricant, or equivalent, to bottom of the fill plug hole. Refer to the Lubricant Specifications section of this group for the quantity necessary
CAUTION: Overfilling the differential can result in lubricant foaming and overheating.

10.Install the fill hole plug and lower the vehicle.
11.Trac - lok(TM) and Vari-lok(TM) differential equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure-eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 PM

thats been the norm.for ever.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM

You can pump it in from the bottom drain plug hole until it comes out of the top fill hole too. If you want....