Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacing headlamp bulb...the mystery continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Default Replacing headlamp bulb...the mystery continues

See prior posts. We still cannot (without damage) figure out how to do the final step of pulling a headlamp assy out.

Tips please if you've done this succesfully. Plenty of instructions have been posted, but need someone who's done it and figured out the tricks.

Thks.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Replacing headlamp bulb...Solved and quick swapout.

Just got the bulbs replaced today, 15 minutes from the time he got the car keys until he had the keys back to me. Totally did the change from the outside, just cut the wheels to give access to the trap door in the fender well. No tools of any kind and no issues in changing the bulb. I had printed out the full set of Headlamp assembly and Lamp replacement instructions from the service manual and he didn't want or need them at all.

Key is probably "smaller" hands to get into the space to turn the bulb and lock/unlock the old and new bulbs.

Best of the deal was no charge!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Wow...so he did it through the wheelwell and reached in by hand.
Hmm... will have to look at that.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: swittie

Wow...so he did it through the wheelwell and reached in by hand.
Hmm... will have to look at that.

Thanks
Yes, he sure did. As I said, about 15 minutes total from me giving him the keys until I got them back, he didn't even move the car, just cut the wheels to provide access to the wheel well. I had expected an hour or so of labor and removal of parts to get the bulbs replaced after reading the service manual instructions.

BTW, this was done at a Body shop repair center and not a Chrysler dealership.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
moe
Default RE: Replacing headlamp bulb...the mystery continues

LAMP

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

Carefully pry up the lower edge of the access panel (1) from the access opening in the front of the front fender liner (2).

Lift the lower edge of the access panel upward far enough to access the nut that secures the back of the front lamp unit to the reinforcement in the front fender.

Reach through the fender liner access opening to remove the nut (6) that secures the stud (4) on the back of the front lamp unit (3) to the reinforcement of the fender (5).

Remove the two screws (1) that secure the top of the lamp to the upper inner reinforcement of the fender.

Grasp the lamp firmly and pull straight forward to disengage the ball stud (2) on the back of the lamp from the plastic grommet in the fender reinforcement.

Pull the lamp (1) away from the fender far enough to access and disconnect three wire harness connections from the back of the lamp:

a.
front park/turn signal bulb socket (2)

b.
headlamp bulb (3)

c.
side marker bulb socket (4)

Remove the front lamp unit from the fender.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Default Cannot remove the actual bulb from the bulb holder that has wires connected to it

So, MOE, i got turned counterclockwise and removed the bulb assy under the wheel well but without touching the bulb itself; i cannot remove it only turn it inside i don't think i'm doing this right. It looks like there is a metal holder around the bottom of the bulb?