Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Rust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Default Rust!

I am finding lines of rust on the bottom of my doors where the outer door skin is crimped over the lower, horizontal edge of the inner door shell.

I'd like to get input whether anyone else is having this problem, and if the dealer will address it. The passenger rear door is the worst, and it's clear that this rust will break through to the outside of the door at some point in the future. On that particular door, the crimped over metal is rusted enough that it can be pulled back with a finger. The rest of the vehicle is perfect and rust free, so something was missed here during manufacturing.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by 15951a\; 07-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM

The rest of the vehicle is perfect and rust free, so something was missed here during manufacturing.
Actually ...No ...It was missed during PREP.....

At the lower rear edge of all four doors...There is a Drain hole...That is covered with SCOTCH TAPE...That should have been punched out diring prep.

If they are still there....Leave them alone, and Take it in.....Unless something is very wrong with your paperwork...PERFORATION (Rust thru) is covered under factory warranty for 10/100K.

Just a word of caution......Any aftermarket VENTSHADES, or Visors Should be removed prior to taking it in......Any evidence of water intrusion into the door By way of Un-approved accesories is grounds for claim denial.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks Djinn. I checked, and those holes are clear and without tape. The tailgate has the tape - guess I should remove it, but I always thought it had a purpose.

The rust is only where water got into that seam where the outer skin is crimped to the lower interior edge of the door. It looks like that seam leaves the factory unsealed, water gets in and sits, and voila - rust. The rear passenger door is bad enough that the paint peeled off of that seam. For some reason, the other three doors aren't as bad yet (just starting to bubble).

Your response gives me hope that Chrysler will step up and do the right thing on this. Here are some photos showing the overall condition of the truck, and the "holy crap, that truck is at least 15 years old" condition of the rear door where there's rust.

Last edited by 15951a\; 07-12-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Your response gives me hope that Chrysler will step up and do the right thing on this.
This has been my argument all along.....They promised a Defect free system for a Determined Amount of time.......The Perforation warranty is 10/100....which unless you have over 100K on an 08.....YOU ARE FULLY ENTITLED TO IT....

My "Beef" is the guy with the 99 durango....with 300k...Who Thinks he is entitled to the same treatment......I have No Problem seeing a customer get warranty Coverage....And even The 7/70 guy with 71K get "Good will" coverage.....I'm Really not a Miserly Little troll..... And it really has Nothing to do with "STEPPING UP".....I wont begrudge anyone something that they are entitled to by way of signed Contract.....

Now...Yes the tape has a Purpose.....To keep the paint off of the glass while it is being sprayed. After that...It traps water and Moisture in the door.....and causes exactly your issue....It wont rust as long as any water that gets thru the window seals has a place to exit.....

In case you didnt know...The window weatherstripping...and even sunroofs are not designed to seal anything....They were designed to slow it down, so that the dispersement holes could handle what comes in....If you believe that no water gets into your doors in a Carwash.....I have a Really nice Bridge overlooking Lower Manhattan, that I will sell you really cheap......

Just Heed My warning....any aftermarket "DO-DADDS" on the doors MUST dissappear before you take it in......

Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Just Heed My warning....any aftermarket "DO-DADDS" on the doors MUST dissappear before you take it in......
Thanks. I'm doo-dadd free, other than Bilstein shocks and EBC brakes. If they prove either of those cause rusty door seams, then more power to them.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:45 AM

Just to make sure I fully understand about the holes being sealed with clear tape on the TAILGATE, those pieces of tape should be removed, correct? I am referring to the holes on the very lower portion of the tailgate, inside, and they are a couple if inches up from the bottom.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM

yep.....

Either remove the tape completely......or just poke a hole in it with a Pen.

A while back, I had a repair order for a very low mileage Caravan, With a complaint of Sloshing Noises while making Turns.....As it turns out, The customer was a Real estate Agent,and the vehicle was used to Shuttle prospective clients thru a courtyard type Building development. The Car was washed on a Daily Basis, and No one had removed the tape from the sliding doors when it was prepped for delivery. As a goof..The guys in the shop took bets on how much water was in the sliding door. 3.5 GALLONS.....

Those old washer fluid bottles are still on display on a shelf above the parts Counter...with a note.......POKE THE TAPE GUYS...Thank you, The management.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:58 PM

My 07 is doing this too on the back door edges. While, it is not as noticeable as yours is due to the color of my ASPEN, it does **** me off and I will be at WOODHOUSE Chrysler with it to have them fix it, pronto. I too have NO aftermarket stuff on my windows

Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Well, so far I'm experiencing the runaround with this issue. I took it to my friendly neighborhood dealer, and they took photos and promised to submit them to corporate to get authorization for the repair. This was three weeks ago.

After harrassment by me, I received an update today that they had done NOTHING, and that they needed to see it again in person. They are trying to tell me that water damage caused this, even though the vehicle has never been water damaged. They have not even made a call to corporate yet.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to waste more time while they stare at the rust again. I expect circus music to be playing at the dealership when I get there...

Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM

I was told it would be covered under warranty if I were NOT the 2nd owner. Makes me never want to buy a leased vehicle with 30K on it. They (dealer) said that no warranty is transferrable from the original owner. Man, maybe I should make cheap cars and just lease them all out, so I'd never have to comp anything beyond 36k miles, even though I talk the talk about 10yr/100k warranties and 7yr/70k warranties just so chumps will buy my used cars after leases are up

Sorry for my rant, but I've grown tired of all the rattles and door rusting and other bs with this car. It was made cheaply. My 94 tbird was a daily driver for 12 years and never had any of this door rusting. My 03 sport trac didn't either...after 7 years. I'm trading this rattle-mobile in for a Yukon or a tahoe

Quick Reply: Rust!