Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Rust!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:10 PM

UPDATE

The service manager took a look at the rust, and agreed that it is unacceptable. He is resubmitting the claim to corporate, and I should have an answer this week.

For some reason he had taken a look at the photos the SA took before and closed out the claim without even doing anything! It took him seeing it in person to believe that we didn't dredge the vehicle up from the bottom of a lake. Seriously, he was convinced we had water damage before he saw the vehicle.

I told him to use Google and search for "dodge door seam rust", and find the many people with vehicles with this same problem. It's especially prevalent on the Ram, and has been for at least 10 years. The bean counters must be saving a whopping 10 cents per vehicle by not SEALING THESE DOOR SEAMS after folding them over!

When I mentioned to the service manager that the door seams are sealed in nearly every other make of vehicle, he said they must have "missed it at the factory". Apparently they missed it on every other Chrysler vehicle, too...

Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by conversion02
I was told it would be covered under warranty if I were NOT the 2nd owner. Makes me never want to buy a leased vehicle with 30K on it. They (dealer) said that no warranty is transferrable from the original owner.
That's total, 100% BS. I'm the 2nd owner, and have had original 36k warranty work done, and the factory corrosion/rust warranty absolutely applies to 2nd owners.

The only warranty that doesn't transfer is the lifetime powertrain warranty. Try a different dealer that actually wants to help.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:08 PM

The dealer informed me they have received authorization for the repair.

Anyone with this same problem should get it documented and repaired while you're under warranty.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Update: I received the Aspen back today. They subcontracted out the repair, and the rust on all four door seams was repaired. A+ service!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM

They subcontracted out the repair,
VERY RARELY will you find a dealership with a "BODY REPAIR' facility on premises any more......Sending it out to a Trusted Local Business is the "Norm" these days.

Just a word of Advice.....Even more Important than the reciept.......Keep The "CLAIM NUMBER" handy until your Perf warranty is expired. In the unlikely event the problem Re-occurs, Chrysler will need to Contact the Facility that did the repair......Which will be in the file associated with Your "CLAIM NUMBER", not the invoice.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 PM

After reading this thread, I checked my weep holes. Turns out the hatch had tape over both holes. Initially I couldn't find the holes in the doors but but then I found them. They are actually under the flat part of the weather stripping. I think there were 3 per door.

Just thought it was worth bringing this back up for new members like myself.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM

My hatch had tape as well. The doors were good. Another key would be to ensure you always wipe door jambs after every wash.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Default Same proble

I have 2007 Aspen, and the driver's door, and that door only, is now rusting at the bottom, inside and out. No other rust anywhere. I am very disappointed, as I am the original owner and I have taken very good care of this vehicle. I have 140,000 miles. Not sure it matters, but I bought it at the end of the model year, so it spent a lot of time outside. Also, tough midwestern winters. I guess I'll take it to the dealer and see if they'll do anything about it. Based on what I'm reading here, I am not hopeful of any redress. 8 year old cars should not rust.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aspen owner
I have 2007 Aspen, and the driver's door, and that door only, is now rusting at the bottom, inside and out. No other rust anywhere. I am very disappointed, as I am the original owner and I have taken very good care of this vehicle. I have 140,000 miles. Not sure it matters, but I bought it at the end of the model year, so it spent a lot of time outside. Also, tough midwestern winters. I guess I'll take it to the dealer and see if they'll do anything about it. Based on what I'm reading here, I am not hopeful of any redress. 8 year old cars should not rust.
You're past the warranty coverage period for perforation (due to rust), so your dealer isn't going to do anything except point you towards a body shop at your expense.

I don't think that your car sitting outside when new was the issue -- it's likely the fact that it's been through 8 winters of salty roads. When I had mine repaired, they mentioned that the design of the lower door metal is prone to rust because of the way it curves in and holds moisture.