Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Strange electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Default Strange electrical issue

The other night I had a very strange electrical issue. I parked my aspen, and turned off the ignition. My foot was still on the brake, key in hand, engine was still running. When I took my foot off the brake the engine shut off. If I reapplied the brake the radio and dash lights would come on. Did that for two days. Of course now that I have an appointment to get it looked at it's not doing it any more. The only thing that was done prior to this issue was washing the vehicle. Any suggestions, or has anyone had this issue. Could it be a faulty BCM? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Do you have a sunroof?
The sunroof drains run through the A pillars on either side of the windshield.
These get clogged with dirt, pine needles etc., and when they do, heavy rains car washes etc. cause water to enter the passenger compartment.

Quess where the water comes in? Yup, directly over the BCM.
Others on this forum have suggested cleaning the drains with a piece of landscape trimmer line which is both stiff enough and flexible enough to do the job. The drains are in either corner of the front half of the sunroof and can be seen with the sun roof open.

Others have stated that they have removed the kick panel and put a sheet metal diverted over the BCM or wrapped it in plastic. This may work, but I don't like the idea of water under the carpet and pad getting moldy.

Fix the leak.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I will advise the dealer when I drop off the car, and hopefully not have any further issues.