Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Strange issue - Question for the Pros?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Question Strange issue - Question for the Pros?

2008 Aspen Limited with the mygig system, no nav. For the last 2 days I have had very strange issues: Lock the car with the FOB (alarm on), walk away. Maybe 2 or 3 hours later the alarm goes off. I simply dismiss the issue as a 1 time thing. Re-arm the system and go to bed. 45 min later, the alarm goes off. I walk outside and turn off alarm using the unlock on the FOB. Looking inside the car, I notice that the MyGig radio is on. Curious, I insert the key in the ignition to power on, turn off and walk away - Radio turns off. I pull the battery terminals for a about an hour hoping that the "gremlins" will go away. One day later, same issue. Alarm goes off, the radio is ON inside the car. I insert the key start the car and try to shut it off...I can turn the key, pull the key out and THE ENGINE STILL RUNS!!!!! I put the key back turn it to on and drive to the local dealer. By the time I get there, no issue. The car shuts off and displays no codes! Any input before going to the dealer appointment?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

WINs issue dealer needs to have it to look at it

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the reply - just for my personal knowledge: what is WIN?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

sorry U have a SKIM but same dam thing hehe

The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (1) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and is also known as the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM). The SKREEM is the primary component of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). It is also the receiver for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. The SKREEM is located on the right side of the steering column, near the ignition lock cylinder housing and is concealed beneath the steering column shrouds. The molded black plastic housing for the SKREEM has an integral molded plastic halo-like antenna ring (4) that extends from the bottom. When the SKREEM is properly installed on the steering column, the antenna ring is oriented around the circumference of the ignition lock cylinder housing.

A single integral connector receptacle (3) is located just behind the antenna ring on the bottom of the SKREEM housing. An integral molded plastic mounting tab (2) on the rear corner of the SKREEM housing has a hole in the center through which a screw passes to secure the unit to the steering column. The SKREEM is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a single take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness

Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 AM

Thank you for the info, very thorough! I went to the local dealer (Power Dodge in Valencia) and we'll try to get it in on Monday, they claim that my issue cannot happen or they never seen it. I've been playing with it and it seems that the problem is only occuring when the alarm is activated via remote. When I lock the doors with the power lock on the door, no issues. I tried the alarm again, and yes - it goes off after 5 min (randomly, sometimes it goes off after 7 hours). The radio comes on because I left it on when I turned off the car. What comes on whet the alarm goes off is the interior lights, dash lights radio etc. Almost as if the door has opened. If I turn off the alarm, go in the car and start it while this "power surge" is on - I can turn off ignition and pull the key out - ALL WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING. I cant shift it from P unless I insert the key back in the ignition and turn it all the way to ON. At that point I can shift and drive away. It seems that it has a 5-10 minute span after which it goes back to normal. I can shut off the car...I noticed that inserting the key back in the ignition and turning it to D (all while the car is running) will light up a red LED on the Right side of the dash? Never seen it before. Could this issue be caused by a battery that is starting to lose power?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

that red light is the SKIM letting u know there is an issue
The people u talk to on the phone are just service advisers not techs

Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Too bad you are not closer...If you feel like driving?

Old 11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I drive all the time

Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 PM

I'm about 1460 miles from Atlanta...Btw, the dealer will take the car in tomorrow. Hopefully they will fix it. It's annoying for me and my neighbors.