Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 Pacifica Stalling/hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Default 04 Pacifica Stalling/hesitating

Tried searching the forum, but didn't come across this issue.

'04 with 105k miles. Check engine light came on. The car started stalling intermittently and in some cases would start hesitating. Seemed to mostly happen after stopping at a light/stop sign. However, other times it will start bucking/hesitating while driving. Some times it will hesitate so bad that you have to take your foot off the gas completely, if you try to give it gas it falls flat, like it is running out of gas. Other times, after taking off from a stop light it just completely shuts off (stalls) with no warning. Turning the key completely off and then restarting it and it will run just fine.
Autzone scanned the codes and said it was the Cam Position Sensor (don't recall the code). I replaced that, but the light came back on. Ran the codes again, P0135 and P0344. Upstream O2 sensor and Cam Position Sensor, as per the guy at Autozone. So, replaced the O2 sensore AND the Cam Position sensor (again). Light came back on, same codes. So I took it to a shop. They said it was the O2 sensor and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. So, I replaced the O2 sensor (again) and the crankshaft Position sensor. Threw on a new TPS just for the heck of it.
Light came on after 10 miles. Same codes, 135 and 344.
I have disconnected the battery each time, the guy at Autozone states that you must clear the codes with a scanner, however they won't do it.

I can seem to figure this out and the fact that it is intermittent really compounds matters.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Edit: I CAN'T seem to figure this out!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Anyone?

I was wondering if an Intake Manifold gasket leak could cause an Oxygen Sensor code to show up? Not certain as code 135 states the O2 sensor heater?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 PM

135 is an open heater circuit to the o2 sensor..... Memory is a bit fuzzy, and data base is down at the moment, But either....There is an O2 heater fuse in the underhood box, or The heater works off of ASD power.

You have to find out why The heater is not being powered up.

Now, ...Just because I feel for anyone who spends needless cash on their car....

Do you buy your Meat from the plumber????? Does The Butcher come and fix your leaky Toilet???? I doubt it.....So STOP LETTING A SALESMAN FIX YOUR CAR....They only do free scans so they can sell parts.....and Most of them are not competent enough to tie their shoes, much less interpret a Code.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM

I DID take it to a shop, and they showed the same codes. Just have a hard time paying someone $500 to replace 2 sensors that I have already replaced. I fully understand what you are saying.
I also checked all the fuses under the hood, but didn't find anything there either.
I recall reading somewhere online where some cars just don't like aftermarket parts. I'm thinking of just replacing the O2 sensor and cam position sensor with OEM and see where I end up. Other than that, I'm guessing it's a wire harness issue and I wouldn't know where to begin with that.

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
135 is an open heater circuit to the o2 sensor..... Memory is a bit fuzzy, and data base is down at the moment, But either....There is an O2 heater fuse in the underhood box, or The heater works off of ASD power.

You have to find out why The heater is not being powered up.

Now, ...Just because I feel for anyone who spends needless cash on their car....

Do you buy your Meat from the plumber????? Does The Butcher come and fix your leaky Toilet???? I doubt it.....So STOP LETTING A SALESMAN FIX YOUR CAR....They only do free scans so they can sell parts.....and Most of them are not competent enough to tie their shoes, much less interpret a Code.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM

I recall reading somewhere online where some cars just don't like aftermarket parts.
This is absolutely true......And if this were a "Signal" code instaead of an "OPEN HEATER" I would fully agree to use OEM.....

Your O2 sensors are 4 wire design. Signal, signal ground, Heater (+), and Heater ground... In the old days, they were single wire...for the signal...and the ground was accomplished thru the body of the sensor Screwed into the exhaust Manifold. 2 Problems.....They didnt work until they were hot, and Grounding was a problem due to rust.

Modern design has a seperate wire to ground the sensor, independant of the exhaust system, and it added a Heated filament to the sensor, to bring it up to temp without the wait.

With minor exceptions...the heater circuit is no different from ...say... a Tail lamp....It needs 12v+ and a ground.......It is that simple.....

Cam sensor...absolutely...go oem.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Well, finally found "some" of the problem. Found the #2 PCM plub/wire harness was being pinched by the frame. Actually wore thru the plastic hose, the weather wrap and I found 3 wires where the insulation was worn off and the wires were bare.
2 of the 3 wires were for the cam position sensor. The 5V supply and the signal wire. This would explain the intermittent problem. Since repairing these wires, the car has run flawlessly for 2 days.
However, the P0135 code came back with a new code, P0132. I'm hoping that an OEM replacement O2 sensor will fix this. Perhaps with the wires shorting out, they shorted out the O2 sensor heater circuit. I checked the O2 Heater wire from the connector to the PCM connector and it is fine and is NOT shorted to ground.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM
mud

where is the crankshaft position sensor? Looked online at many diagrams and even talked to a mechanic but no luck on locating it..I have a new one for it and was going to change the thing but I can not seem to find it. If anyone is able to tell me in detail where it is located? thank you

Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM
mud
Default my 2004 pacifica

hello, I have a 2004 pacifica that needs a new crankshaft position sensor that I have. I was already to change it but I dont no where it is located. I looked online at the different diagrams and also talked to a mechanic. I can not seem to locate it at all. If anyone could tell me in detail of where its located..thank you so much.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mud
hello, I have a 2004 pacifica that needs a new crankshaft position sensor that I have. I was already to change it but I dont no where it is located. I looked online at the different diagrams and also talked to a mechanic. I can not seem to locate it at all. If anyone could tell me in detail of where its located..thank you so much.
The CRANK shaft position sensor is a bear. It is underneath the engine on the driver side. I had to use one of the extension Mirrors and flashlight to find it. I am too old and heavy so had my twenty something nephew change it for me.

The CAM position sensor is much easier to replace, but you stated crankshaft.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 04 Pacifica Stalling/hesitating