Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

05 Pacifica has a battery drain problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Default 05 Pacifica has a battery drain problem.

Hey guys.

I have been through three batteries and our pacifica just keeps going dead after about 1 month (ALTERNATOR TESTED GOOD). Its to the point to where i am starting to know the AAA guys coming out by face LOL.

Anyways, would anyone happen to kow if it is hard to locate where this drain is coming from? I did notice one night while waiting in the car for the wife that with everything off the door panels stayed lit, so i decided to push the button on the drivers door that locks the windows and it lit up to a bright red. I think this may be my problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Get a digital volt-ohmmeter with DC current reading capacity. Read current draw by first connecting it between the battery and the ground cable and then disconnecting the ground cable from the battery without disconnecting the meter. In other words, the meter is going to stay connected while you disconnect the battery. Your current draw should be in the neighborhood of about 0.05 amps. This is what is necessary to run the clock and the receiver for the keyless entry. If it's significantly more than that, something is going on. Start pulling fuses one by one until you isolate the circuit with the problem. Then you'll have to track down the precise problem, whether it's a short or a light or whatever.
Persistance pays. This ain't rocket science, and you might as well do it yourself rather than pay some mechanic 50 buck$ an hour to do the same thing. If you find the problem but decide you can't fix it, it'll be time to bring in the pro and sic him directly onto the problem.