Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm problem & battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Default Alarm problem & battery drain

Hi all, have read previous posts re alarm etc which seem to bear similarities to my problem - hope someone can offer some help or suggestions.

We have a 2004 Grand Voyager that has in the last six months exhibited a seemingly random problem of the battery being completely and utterly dead when you try and start it.

Roadside assistance have been out three/four times and have jump started off booster. Drive away and all ok for a few weeks/month and journeys of various lengths and then for no reason its just dead on start up again.

Last roadside guy said the battery wasnt showing a drain but suggested we replaced it so after hunting around bought new battery from main dealer (£150.00 supply only !!!!)

Changed battery over and had no problems for over a month until one morning at 2am alarm went off (indicators not flashing) and would not switch off. Ended up disconnecting battery and after several alarm cycles it stopped sounding.

Reconnected battery in morning and was completely dead. Jumped battery off booster pack and everything seemed to be working fine for few days - excpet for permanent little red light on dashboard.

One afternoon alarm goes off again but whilst driving along this time and with indicators flashing.... cycles through a few times and seems ok again.. Red light on dashboard has now gone out but notice that central locking is working with fob but not with keys ?

Last night alarm went off again in middle of night and would not turn off again.. car currently sitting in my drive with battery disconnected surrounded by some increasingly unhappy neaighbours.....

Help !

Old 06-17-2010, 05:01 PM

need to carry out a battery drain test and see what is making the battery go flat 0.03 amps after 30 minutes is what you should have. may well be the battery in the alarm siren. if you have a drain this is what I would unplug first. (siren under left front headlamp)

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM

alarm and battery is a very useful in a car. battery is provide facility of light in the car. so it is a recharged to battery punctual time or damaged battery is changed .so it is not create a problem in future. alarm is device of car security.so your car is a very safe. it is a different volume in the alarm. if any time create problem,alarm is a on.and inform us.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Merlin, thanks for answer, have had bumper off today (that was fun !) and found sounder.. can the back up battery for alarm be purchased/replaced seperately ?

Also have found that whilst central locking is working from key fob, it is not working directly from any of the locks ? Does this suggest a fault in the drivers door ?

Found two fuses under bonnet that when pulled stopped drain.. would that suggest I have two possible causes or one ?

Thanks
Mark

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Mark,
What did the fuses go to?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM

yep need to know the fuses? how long did you leave it? what is the drain you have in amps? how much does it drop on each fuse?
Battery can't be change in the siren (not from chrysler anyway)
is the locks working off the door switches or just the fobs?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Default Battery drain

Right, I taped up bonnet switch, shut all doors and made sure all lights went out, locked car using the fob and let settle for 30 mins.

Battery drain was 0.87 !

Pulled all fuses and upon pulling the pink 30amp fuse marked as "Central AMP" drain went down to 0.03

In this situation with the fuse out everything seems to work ok other than radio and CD, which light up but no sound from speakers.

Other things that might be related.. as mentioned before, with fuse in the central locking works from fob but not from the individual locks, which operate mechanically indivdually with no problem but no longer central lock... (is Central AMP just related to radio or to central locking?)

Also no longer seem to be able to disable the interior alarm sensors (not getting the beep on two presses of the fob)

Also just remembered that when everything is switched off I can hear static from the speakers..... plot thickens !!

Any ideas/suggestions chaps ?

Thanks Mark

Old 06-30-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi
on the locks issue does it work on the lock buttons inside?
Alarm is three presses not two and don't press them too fast (look for indicators flash)
Next I would be disconnecting the AMP and recheck for drain.
Do you have an RB3 sat nav unit? as they can play up but start with amp.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Will check locking from the 'lock all' button on drivers door and will re-try the three button press on fob - but in meantime... where would I start looking to find the radio amp and when I find it, is it just a case of pulling a plug from it to disconnect ?

Thanks
Mark

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM

... meant to add - havent got Satnav - weve got CRD Limited with 6 cd changer and an aftermarket ceiling mounted DVD player.

Quick Reply: Alarm problem & battery drain