Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 chrysler pacifica stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 PM

We fixed our 2006 Pacifica today using the below procedure and YouTube video that my lovely wife found on online for a total of $8.34 for the part and about 3 hours of our time. The time includes running to the dealer to get part and eating breakfast. The guy in parts at the dealer said they replace a lot of these on Chargers, but not so many on Pacifica or Chrysler 300.

Marty

This is an easy fix. I know others have posted about the metal replacement part that shows a video on how to replace the "pink thingy". The video online just shows how to replace the part once the shifter is out of the car. I thought I would explain how to get to that point. It's actual name of the part is the shifter inter lock lever or also called the park lock out mechanism. It comes with a small spring and a plastic piece. It cost less then 8 bucks from the dealer. It is the same part that goes in the pacifica, charger, magnum, 300, etc. It's just a faulty 10 cent piece of plastic. What happens is on the plastic piece is a little hook that the spring connects too and over time it wears out and breaks. The spring flys off and makes it so the shifter can not come out of park.

The Chrysler part name and number is shifter inter lock lever 68088259AB.

So here is the video once you have the shifter out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QMSBpY
ThI

How do you get the shifter out? You will need a phillips head screw driver, a small flat head screw driver, and a ratchet with a 10mm socket. I pull out the ashtray and use that to hold the 18 screws and 4 nuts that you will need to remove.

1. Start on the driver side of the car. Move the driver seat all the way back. On the side of the center console toward the floor mat there are 2 phillips head screws. Remove those.
2. Move the driver seat all the way forward. Go into the rear seat and on the side of the console just behind the drivers seat is 1 phillips head screw. Remove that.
3. Go to the passenger side and repeat the same process. So now you have removed 6 screws.
4. Back to the driver side move the seat all the way back and sit in the seat.
5. Open the lid in the console. There are 4 screws around the edge of the lid. Two toward the front of the car and two toward the rear. Remove those. Hopefully by this point you have removed all of your stuff from inside the console. At the bottom of the console is 2 more screws. Remove those. At this point you should have 12 screws that you removed.
6. Unscrew your shifter ****. Turn it to the left to unscrew.
7. Around your shifter is a plate. It goes around where you shift through the gears. Pick a corner of it and pry up. Work your way around the corners and it will come off in one piece.
8. The plastice piece that is under that plate also pops off. Grab both sides of it and pull up slightly. You will see a wire connected to the underside. This is what lights up the P, R, N, D etc. To get this out grab the connector with your fingers and turn it to the left.
9. Once those two pieces are removed you will see two more screws toward the rear of the shifter. Remove those.
10. Toward the front of the two pieces you just took off and under and to each side of the front power outlets there are two more screws. Remove those. At this point you have removed 16 screws.
11. Remove the rubber cup holder insert. There are two screws to remove under that.
12. That's it for the screws. 18 total.
13. Depending on how big you are the next step is up to you and what is most comfortable. I get on my knees in the driver seat. With my right hand I grab the rear of the console and pull up slightly. This is so you can see which wires run from front to back to the rear power outlet.
14. Once you know which wires those are unplug the connector. Mine was to the fron and passenger side of the shifter.
15. The connector plugs all fasten one way or the other with a notch or groove into each other. None of them just unplug. So before you start pulling on the connectors look at it to see how it comes apart. This way you won't rip the wires out of the connector. Typically a real small screw driver and prying on one side of the connector will take them off.
16. Once you unplugged the rear power outlet connector you will need to grab each side of the connector and pull up. It is fastened to the piece below and will pop up with slight preassure.
17. At this point you will need to see if any other wires are connected to the underside of the console. Pull up slightly from the rear and have a look. This really depends on what options came on your car. Heated seats, fog lights, etc.
18. Once all wires are unplugged from the console pull it straight up and to the back and set it in the back seats.
19. Take your ratchet and 10mm socket and remove the 4 nuts at all four corners of the shifter.
20. Looking down on the shifter you will see two cables. The one on the right hooks to the shifter on the side. Grab the end on the shifter and pull toward the passenger seat. Should pop right off.
21. The cable on the left is a steel cable with a little ball on the end that sits just inside "that pink plastic thingy". Pick the whole shifter assembly up and toward the front of the car. This should give you slack in that cable to take it out.
22. Those two cables are connnected to the shifter assembly toward the front as well. Those clips pull straight up and come off of the plastic shroud on the shifter.
23. There is a plug toward the rear of the shifter that needs to be removed.
24. Now your shifter will pull straight up and out of the console.
The video link I included above will show how to replace the defective part. To put everything back just follow these steps in reverse. Start to finish this took me 45 minutes and cost me less then 8 bucks from the dealer.

There are places online that you can get the part for 5 or 6 bucks like here:
Factory Mopar Parts - OEM Auto Parts
59ab.html
But by the time you add on shipping it is still cheaper at the dealership.

Last edited by martywj; 08-12-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:28 PM

Success! Following what john|turk said (thank you), I have a 2005 Pacifica and had this problem today 6-16-15. Vehicle was stuck in park ten miles from home. I removed the bezel and the shrouding like john mentioned. I found the little pink plastic thing right where others said it would be. I used a thin screwdriver and levered this pink piece forward. It worked. I got the car home. Once in park, it got stuck there again. I used a bigger screwdriver, pressed down on the pink thing then forward. I broke it off. It was still in the way so I used one of those thin grabbers... 18" long metal coil that you press a red button at one end and 4 wire grabbers come out the other end. I was able to grab the broken piece of the pink thing and gingerly pull it out. Everything works. It must be some interlock. Everything works the same as it did.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:11 AM

Linda's 2007 Touring was stuck in PARK yesterday. Thanks to posts here and a Youtube video I was able to fix it. If it were my car, I would have just broken the pink thing. However, women like things to work properly. What I would like to share is the fact that you do NOT need a new pink thing. I read where a guy simply drilled a small hole and inserted a cotter pin. I did this and it worked great. However, this is a fairly difficult job. Everything is a struggle because everything is a very tight fit.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by johnlturk
In an emergency situation, with this part broken, can the shifter be moved from PARK by manipulating these parts? My car is stuck in PARK, in my garage, and difficult to get out with a tow truck.
If you dismantle the plastic parts around the shifter ( should just pop off) look to the front of the shifter on the driver's side. You will see a another pink plastic piece. Push this in towards the rear of the vehicle. While doing that attempt to move the shifter with the brake pressed in. The shifter should move.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Default Chrysler Pacifica Stuck In Park

This is an oldie but a goodie.
Just happened to me a few days ago, luckily not in my garage, not on my driveway and not in the middle of no where.
In a convenient spot next to my house not blocking anything. It's sat for a few days till had the time to get to it.
As countless others have done before me I YouTubed it.
And these were extremely helpful in seeing the problem and the fix.
But, no one showed which trim pieces had to be removed & how to remove all the trim pieces without breaking any clips, connections or the part itself.

Your well thought out easily understood step by step explanation was extremely helpful to me.
Would you believe the one thing that stopped me in my tracks was unable to figure out how to remove the gear shift ****.
Tried turning it (Left) but was fearful of applying to much pressure and breaking it.
Thought there had to be a pin or clip somewhere holding it in place.
I slipped off the silver plastic piece below the leather shifter thinking there was something in there, that did not work.
Then I saw your comment that it unscrews-gave me the confidence to apply a little more force and it unscrewed.
I've ordered the part on line $16.00, free 1 day shipping.
Meanwhile I can now drive it if I want by moving that pink plastic thing allowing me to shift out of park.
I'm leaving it in neutral for now and am actually driving it.
Thanks very much for this very helpful step by step instructional.

QUOTE=martywj;72486]We fixed our 2006 Pacifica today using the below procedure and YouTube video that my lovely wife found on online for a total of $8.34 for the part and about 3 hours of our time. The time includes running to the dealer to get part and eating breakfast. The guy in parts at the dealer said they replace a lot of these on Chargers, but not so many on Pacifica or Chrysler 300.

Marty

This is an easy fix. I know others have posted about the metal replacement part that shows a video on how to replace the "pink thingy". The video online just shows how to replace the part once the shifter is out of the car. I thought I would explain how to get to that point. It's actual name of the part is the shifter inter lock lever or also called the park lock out mechanism. It comes with a small spring and a plastic piece. It cost less then 8 bucks from the dealer. It is the same part that goes in the pacifica, charger, magnum, 300, etc. It's just a faulty 10 cent piece of plastic. What happens is on the plastic piece is a little hook that the spring connects too and over time it wears out and breaks. The spring flys off and makes it so the shifter can not come out of park.

The Chrysler part name and number is shifter inter lock lever 68088259AB.

So here is the video once you have the shifter out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QMSBpY
ThI

How do you get the shifter out? You will need a phillips head screw driver, a small flat head screw driver, and a ratchet with a 10mm socket. I pull out the ashtray and use that to hold the 18 screws and 4 nuts that you will need to remove.

1. Start on the driver side of the car. Move the driver seat all the way back. On the side of the center console toward the floor mat there are 2 phillips head screws. Remove those.
2. Move the driver seat all the way forward. Go into the rear seat and on the side of the console just behind the drivers seat is 1 phillips head screw. Remove that.
3. Go to the passenger side and repeat the same process. So now you have removed 6 screws.
4. Back to the driver side move the seat all the way back and sit in the seat.
5. Open the lid in the console. There are 4 screws around the edge of the lid. Two toward the front of the car and two toward the rear. Remove those. Hopefully by this point you have removed all of your stuff from inside the console. At the bottom of the console is 2 more screws. Remove those. At this point you should have 12 screws that you removed.
6. Unscrew your shifter ****. Turn it to the left to unscrew.
7. Around your shifter is a plate. It goes around where you shift through the gears. Pick a corner of it and pry up. Work your way around the corners and it will come off in one piece.
8. The plastice piece that is under that plate also pops off. Grab both sides of it and pull up slightly. You will see a wire connected to the underside. This is what lights up the P, R, N, D etc. To get this out grab the connector with your fingers and turn it to the left.
9. Once those two pieces are removed you will see two more screws toward the rear of the shifter. Remove those.
10. Toward the front of the two pieces you just took off and under and to each side of the front power outlets there are two more screws. Remove those. At this point you have removed 16 screws.
11. Remove the rubber cup holder insert. There are two screws to remove under that.
12. That's it for the screws. 18 total.
13. Depending on how big you are the next step is up to you and what is most comfortable. I get on my knees in the driver seat. With my right hand I grab the rear of the console and pull up slightly. This is so you can see which wires run from front to back to the rear power outlet.
14. Once you know which wires those are unplug the connector. Mine was to the fron and passenger side of the shifter.
15. The connector plugs all fasten one way or the other with a notch or groove into each other. None of them just unplug. So before you start pulling on the connectors look at it to see how it comes apart. This way you won't rip the wires out of the connector. Typically a real small screw driver and prying on one side of the connector will take them off.
16. Once you unplugged the rear power outlet connector you will need to grab each side of the connector and pull up. It is fastened to the piece below and will pop up with slight preassure.
17. At this point you will need to see if any other wires are connected to the underside of the console. Pull up slightly from the rear and have a look. This really depends on what options came on your car. Heated seats, fog lights, etc.
18. Once all wires are unplugged from the console pull it straight up and to the back and set it in the back seats.
19. Take your ratchet and 10mm socket and remove the 4 nuts at all four corners of the shifter.
20. Looking down on the shifter you will see two cables. The one on the right hooks to the shifter on the side. Grab the end on the shifter and pull toward the passenger seat. Should pop right off.
21. The cable on the left is a steel cable with a little ball on the end that sits just inside "that pink plastic thingy". Pick the whole shifter assembly up and toward the front of the car. This should give you slack in that cable to take it out.
22. Those two cables are connnected to the shifter assembly toward the front as well. Those clips pull straight up and come off of the plastic shroud on the shifter.
23. There is a plug toward the rear of the shifter that needs to be removed.
24. Now your shifter will pull straight up and out of the console.
The video link I included above will show how to replace the defective part. To put everything back just follow these steps in reverse. Start to finish this took me 45 minutes and cost me less then 8 bucks from the dealer.

There are places online that you can get the part for 5 or 6 bucks like here:
Factory Mopar Parts - OEM Auto Parts
59ab.html
But by the time you add on shipping it is still cheaper at the dealership.[/QUOTE]