Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING

Old 11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Default 06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING

MY 06 PACIFICA WITH THE 3.5 HAS A KNOCKING NOICE LIKE ITS THE LIFTERS. i REPLACED THE LIFTERS AND ITS STILL MAKING THE SAME NOICE. IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE LIFTERS KNOCKING. i HAVE NO IDEA WHATS WRONG OR IF i FORGOT TO DO SOMETHING WHEN CHANGING THE LIFTERS. i HAVE NOT LOST POWER OR ANYTHING IT JUST MAKES THAT LOUD LIFTER KNOCKING NOICE. PLEASE HELP ME. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA.

THANKS EDWARD MEYERS

Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Default RE: 06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING

We just bought an 05 pacifica and had the same problem with the lifter tick. Yesterday my wife pulled out onto the highway and the motor lost all power and started knocking. When I got home I found the oil full of antifreeze. The car had a bumper to bumper warranty and the dealer said the motor was blown and that they would put a new motor in it. I havent had a chance to ask them what happened to cause this.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 AM

Sounds like a bad head gasket to me.

How did you happen to find that 05 with a full warranty? That's ideally what I'd like to get (something with coverage for a situation like yours) when we end up buying used.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM

My 04 has a full warranty to 2011. 7 year 70k powertrain and the rest of the vehicle 7 year to 70k as well. Currently 33k on the vehicle. It is forsale BTW. You can search in on autotrader.com in Westminster CA. Prettyl much loaded and very clean.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM

^ Ok, I thought the 7/70 wasn't standard with Chrysler vehicles until 06 or so. Was your coverage an option or standard?

And if IL was any closer to CA, I'd certainly consider your '04 as a low mileage vehicle like that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM

I have a 2005 with the same full warranty that I purchased from Chrysler when I bought the car used two years ago.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Scotty,
I think they went away from the 7/70 in 06 as my 06 Ram only has the 3/36. My 05 Town and Country has the 7/70. Then they went to the lifetime in 07 or 08 I think. The T&C replaced the PAC as we out grew it.

7/70 powertrain was standard and I bought the rest of the vehicle warranty for 7/70 (transferafble). You can always catch a plane ride and drive it home! This is a very clean and well kept car. When I sold my 01 Ram to get my 06, a guy from New Mexico flew in and drove it come. He was amazed at how new it looked. I keep my cars pretty much in tip top shape and in case you have not noticed.. I like Chryslers The Pacifica was professionalyy detailed and now sits in the garage and is not driven until someone can appreciate the gem I have sitting there. Good luck w/ your search.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:01 PM

I had something like an engine knock. I switched from 89 octane to premium and that helped a little bit. Then I tried some high mileage semisynthetic motor oil and that got rid of it completely. Switching back to 89 caused the noise to reappear, so it's the combo of the premium gas and the high mileage motor oil that fixed it. At least fuel is cheaper again!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Nowadays engines have knock sensors built in that are supposed to adjust the spark via the engine computer to prevent engine knock. You may need a new knock sensor, but if it's located where it is in the 2,7L engine (buried deep), it would be a lot cheaper to just keep using higher octane fuel.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: dcotter0579

Nowadays engines have knock sensors built in that are supposed to adjust the spark via the engine computer to prevent engine knock. You may need a new knock sensor, but if it's located where it is in the 2,7L engine (buried deep), it would be a lot cheaper to just keep using higher octane fuel.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. It may not be engine knock, it just sounds like it. I looked at the service manual and it looked like replacing the knock sensor was a bit too much for my limited skills under the hood. Don't want to pay the dealer to do it either, so premium fuel and oil it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING