Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Default RE: 06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING

ORIGINAL: edward2020

MY 06 PACIFICA WITH THE 3.5 HAS A KNOCKING NOICE LIKE ITS THE LIFTERS. i REPLACED THE LIFTERS AND ITS STILL MAKING THE SAME NOICE. IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE LIFTERS KNOCKING. i HAVE NO IDEA WHATS WRONG OR IF i FORGOT TO DO SOMETHING WHEN CHANGING THE LIFTERS. i HAVE NOT LOST POWER OR ANYTHING IT JUST MAKES THAT LOUD LIFTER KNOCKING NOICE. PLEASE HELP ME. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA.

THANKS EDWARD MEYERS
I had the same situation, and actually we found out that it was the rocker arms. Unfortunately, it's still in the shop getting fixed. The repair costs are dang high as it appears I needed to get my valves replaced too. We'll see what happens. I hope I'm not getting taken.

If I could do the repairs myself I would. Unfortunately I can't. Oh well.

Also, there was a previous post that I found when I Googled the problem. The post indicated that if your VIN had a G, V or 4 as it's 8th character that your engine could be part of a recall. I went to Chrysler and input my VIN and found no recalls for my specific Pacifica.

TXPACI

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Default RE: 06 PACIFICA ENGINE KNOCKING

My 06 Pac is doing the same thing. It started about 9 months ago. I took it to the dealer, and they said the lifters were sticking, and my fault because I had waited a little too long to change the oil. We put some oil treatment in, and no change. They said we could either clean the lifters or replace them, and the cost was similar. If we just cleaned them, chances are the noise would come back. But, they also said it was more an inconvenience than a serious problem. So... yesterday took the Pac to a reputable mechanic who services my other vehicles, and he said it was a serious problem! He said I needed to replace the engine since it was filled with sludge to a tune of about $5K. He didnt actually look in the engine, this was based on the noise it was making. He called to get an estimate on the engine, and the dealer said, "so how many miles did THIS one make it to?" Apparently replacing the engines on these Pacs is not uncommon. So I started searching and found this thread. I'm going to try the high octane and high mileage oil that was suggested. I have 76K on my Pac, so I guess I'm out of warranty anyway.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by avezan
My 06 Pac is doing the same thing. It started about 9 months ago. I took it to the dealer, and they said the lifters were sticking, and my fault because I had waited a little too long to change the oil. We put some oil treatment in, and no change. They said we could either clean the lifters or replace them, and the cost was similar. If we just cleaned them, chances are the noise would come back. But, they also said it was more an inconvenience than a serious problem. So... yesterday took the Pac to a reputable mechanic who services my other vehicles, and he said it was a serious problem! He said I needed to replace the engine since it was filled with sludge to a tune of about $5K. He didnt actually look in the engine, this was based on the noise it was making. He called to get an estimate on the engine, and the dealer said, "so how many miles did THIS one make it to?" Apparently replacing the engines on these Pacs is not uncommon. So I started searching and found this thread. I'm going to try the high octane and high mileage oil that was suggested. I have 76K on my Pac, so I guess I'm out of warranty anyway.
I was wondering if you had any problems after you switched to the high mileage oil and high octane gas?