Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 Pacifica vibration during braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Default 06 Pacifica vibration during braking

My girlfriends 06 pacifica awd with @ 90k miles on it shakes violently going down hills at 40+ mph and on the highway flat ground at 60+ when you touch the brakes, hard braking too but just touching them shakes the wheel. It also had many of the clunks, grinds and pops coming from the front end as seems typical of this car. Started replacing parts that seemed worn or suspect as listed below:

1. New front struts and springs (Quick Strut). No Change
2. Tie rod ends. No Change
3. 4 wheel alignment. No Change
4. Replaced brake pads, calipers, and rotors with new. No Change
5. Replaced all 4 tires with new. No Change
6. Replaced both front hubs with new. No Change
7. Replaced both front ball joints with new. No Change
8. Replaced right side CV axle. No Change
9. Replaced broken front motor mount. No Change
10. Replaced Rack and Pinion with new. No Change
11. Another 4 wheel alignment. No Change

All the clunks, grinds and pops are gone and it rides like a brand new car, with the exception that it still shakes like a b when you touch the brakes. So it is basically not drivable as it is. I've been told by at least two shops that the rotors are warped, and when I ask which one they tell me the fronts, what are the chances that I take off bad rotors and replaced them with brand new bad rotors? Not to mention they have only about 200 miles on them and would have had to have gone bad in the 5 miles it took me to get to the interstate and up to 60 mph. Any ideas on wtf could be going on.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 AM

mine did the same till I change the rotors to drill and sloted ones and it went away.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Just to rule it out I took the new front rotors back to the parts store just to check them. They ended up turning them for free and took 2/1000ths off both. One of them was out just that much and the other was perfect. Unbelievably problem solved. Seems like a very small tolerance to get a violent shake in the front end. Most of the other parts probably needed replacing any way and now it has basically a new front end. Thanks for looking.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM

I have an 04 pacifica with 237,000 it goes through brake rotors in the front like crazy and just a little warped sends the car violently shaking, but, the drilled and slotted ones last the longest. My rotors warp about every 3 months but I can go almost a year without warping the drilled ones!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Every rotor brand new out of box no matter what should be given a fine cut !!!!

I dont care if it says no cutting needed

fine cut every rotor !!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM

And also no matter what the kid behind the counter says !