Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 Pacifica Drivetrain Puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Question 2004 Pacifica Drivetrain Puzzler

Have a real puzzle for Gurus - and then a general question.

Recently while repairing a rear puncture car fell of Jack and completely snapped the rear compression link (passenger side). Replaced the link and the problem begins.

When driving forward there is no problem. In reverse, there is a major (and I mean MAJOR) clunking/thumping sound coming from the rear. My guess is, when it fell, it broke the CV joint inside one of the boots - but if that is so, why doesn't it make the same noise going forwards (its an AWD)?

Have checked carefully, and I cannot see any other parts of the rear suspension that might be causing the problem. But, before I replace the CV, does anyone have any alternative theories to offer?

Now the Question:

If I have to replace the CV, has anyone done this job by removing the rear knuckle - rather than the the way the manual suggests, by dropping the the exhaust, propshaft and rear differential. There is a lot of rust and I don't have a drive on hoist - so the manuals method would very tricky!

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.