Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

cruise control stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Default cruise control stopped working

Hello, my cruise control will not engage properly. I have a 2004 FWD Pacifica with 59,000 miles. The car runs fine, the cruise control on/engage lights work.I can engage it, it sometimes engages, holds a set speed, then it will "disengage" spontaneously.

I also have the " I need to clean my throttle plate assembly" issue, as my accelerator will occasionally stick on a hot summer day.

Question: Could these two issues be related ? ( Don't laugh too hard )

Any ideas would be appreciated.......

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Default RE: cruise control stopped working

Not sure about the cruise control issue, but if you haven't cleaned the throttle plate, it's pretty easy. I did ours in about an hour. Seemed like the throttle only stuck when the plate was closed, ie startup and idling. When you are using the cruise, the throttle plate should be open and not sticking. Don't know if it will fix the cruise issue, but I would at least clean the throttle plate and see if that helps. If you need help with that, let me know. I took some pictures when I did ours.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Try engaging cruise while applying upward pressure on the brake pedal with your left foot. If it works then the disengage switch on the pedal is broken or out of adjustment.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 PM

hey, thanks for the replies on my cruise control. Not too long after I posted , the cruise control quit entirely. I took it in and it turns out there was a cracked rubber vacuum line near the battery that disabled the cruise control. I am happy to say it was an easy fix..........

Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by cenzo
Try engaging cruise while applying upward pressure on the brake pedal with your left foot. If it works then the disengage switch on the pedal is broken or out of adjustment.

I know this is a 3 year old post, but I had to say thank you!!

I purchased an 06 pacifica last month from a used car lot, and the cruise was not working. Brought it back to them, and they replaced the cruise control system (not sure what it is called, right next to the radiator) but my cruise would still not work.

I searched this forum and found this post, and tried your suggestion, and voila, my cruise works now.

The odd thing is that I only had to di it once. I was expecting to have to do it every time I engaged the system, but so far, it turns right on as soon as I press the button.

Anyway, I had to say thank you!!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Smile Pacifica Cruise Control Issues

I too had issues with the cruise control on my 2004 Pacifica, not maintaining speed on grades and after reading the posts determined that the vacuum line could be the issue. The post indicating to look near the battery got my attention and although I was not personally able to find the issue, when I took the vehicle to the dealer yesterday and told them about all the various possibilities I read from the posts they indeed found the problem. It was in fact the vacuum hose but underneath the battery where I would never have been able to trace it. All said and done an hour's labour charge of $57 and the problem is rectified and in fact the cruise works better than I have ever remembered since owning the vehicle. Thanks to the forum I saved a lot of money and heartache.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Hi, just joined and wanted to add that I also fixed my cruise control on 05 pacifica. While tracing some wiring I discovered the broken vacuum line that plugs in just under the left side of the battery tray. It is made of hard plastic that must get brittle with age or heat. I just cut it back to where it was good and pieced it out with rubber hose. I did remove the drivers side headlight housing(only 2 screws) to get access to the vacuum line where it wasnt brittle to make my repair. Cruise control works good as new!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Smile Cruise Control Issues

Just wanted to say Thanks for posting the info about the vacuum hose. I also have an '05 Pacifica that I purchased used recently. The cruise lit up on the dash as turned on and 'set' but did not engage the accelerator. I went out, popped my hood and found the hose right up front. To my surprise, not only was it cracked at the top but it was unhooked from under the battery. $3.53 later, my cruise control is working!