Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica 3.5 killing me

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Default 2005 Pacifica 3.5 killing me

Hi everyone ,

First time posting in here and hope I can get some help. Recently purchased a 2005 Pacifica 3.5l touring and it has been a terrible experience. I haven’t been able to do any driving besides bringing it around the block to see if the CEL light comes on. I originally had a p2074 code when I first purchased it. I changed the MAP and still had a code. I changed the IAC, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the TPS, changed the spark plugs and coils, and put a different upper intake on it because a mechanic told me the one I had was leaking. The CEL has come back on again yesterday with code p0508. I cleared that and today 2 more codes came up P1607 and P2074. I haven’t even been able to get this car registered and I bought it in March. I have been out of work because of COVID and I’m about to start back so I need this car because my wife drives the other. Can someone please help me???

Old 07-11-2020, 12:32 PM

Look for vacuum leak P2047 around intake, brake booster, hoses. P1607 CHRYSLER Possible Causes DID YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before replacing sensors so the computer can learn the new sensors?
What does this mean?
Low battery voltage
Faulty Alternator
Engine cooling conditions that may set the code
Engine coolant level
Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM) P1607 CHRYSLER Meaning
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares actual shutdown time to a calculated shutdown time value. The calculated shut down time value is based on the amount the ECT should drop after a completely warmed up engine is shut down for a minimum of 8 hours. If the difference between actual shutdown time and the calculated shut down time is greater than a maximum value, a one trip failure will set. The shutdown time is measured again after 1 hour of ignition off time following the next engine warm up cycle. The PCM compares the shutdown time to a calculated value. If the difference is greater than a maximum value, the MIL is illuminated and the P1607 code will set.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 PM

Carb Cleaner
Another method is to use a can of carburetor cleaner or intake cleaner spray. ... Sparingly spray the cleaner to suspect vacuum leak areas, while the engine is idling. If the leak is found, the engine will likely smooth out as the flammable mixture makes up for the lean air-fuel ratio.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:27 PM

Thanks for replying ... I did all the sensor replace my awhile ago and the battery has been disconnected a few times since then. Also forgot to mention I replaced both fuel pumps as well. I checked the intake but have not checked the brake booster. I will do that and see what happens

Old 07-11-2020, 09:18 PM

Bill Johnson, thanks for the expert advice. Just an idea for passing the inspection, my Pac has had a marginal catalytic converter for years. Have frequent P0420 codes. Every year, I have been doing the reset all monitor trick, then drive around checking the monitors with a scan tool, get all the monitors in line except the one I know will fail, duck into an inspection stand and get er inspected. My state, like some others, allows for one monitor to be unset and still pass inspection..

Old 07-12-2020, 09:47 AM

I gave my son my o4 and I still have my wife's 05 both have P0420 I replaced the exhaust system on both but the code will come back after many months. If I replace the upstream o2 sensor it will be off for a couple of months. I think there is a problem with the ecu programing because everyone has this issue. My egr goes out about every two years also. I'm glad it has a lifetime warranty. The throttle plate sticks once a year so I take a clamp and hold it open, put a sock in there and spray it with cleaner. I also use a Harbor Freight brush to get all around. Don't forget the woooring sound that goes up and down it's the pulley on the alternator going bad. I can hear a car in a parking lot an aisle away. I usually tell them how to fix it. Don't forget the side mirrors that go dark just remove the black outer plastic ring around the glass then get a razor blade go between the two pieces of glass. The dark liquid will run out. Remove the outer glass and clean the inner glass with brake clean followed by glass cleaner. Now you will have perfect functioning mirrors they just won't auto darken. Just a few things I picked up over the years

Old 07-16-2020, 04:35 PM

More good Pac info Mr. Johnson! Nothing like experience to keep our Pac's on the road. I did forget to mention I used the old "stacked spark plug anti-fouler" trick with my O2 sensor to pretty much permanently eliminate the P0420 cat code. Now I drive around pretty much with the check engine light off, ready for my annual inspection.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:48 PM

I got every code to go away but the p2074. I have changed the IAC twice. Changed the TPS twice. Have tried to change everything I could think of that was related to the code and nothing is working. I tried to check for leaks and couldn’t find any but I’m not a mechanic but didn’t see any indication of leaks. I just want to pass inspection and nothing is working. Please help if anyone knows anything that may be the cause of this to keep coming back on after I clear it. I’m trying to pass inspection and this it won’t until this is figured out.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:54 AM

***update***

I know have it down to one code but this still the p2074. I’ve replaced the TPS and had a mechanic check my PCM and make sure it is up to date. When started I get a rev for about 5-10 minutes. It will then smooth out and go back to a regular idle with more revving. I am stuck and was wondering if maybe the battery is the culprit? Not sure and I’m not a mechanic just. A DYI guy trying to save some money while I’m out of work because of COVID. So anyone’s help is very appreciated

Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmurray33
***update***

I know have it down to one code but this still the p2074. I’ve replaced the TPS and had a mechanic check my PCM and make sure it is up to date. When started I get a rev for about 5-10 minutes. It will then smooth out and go back to a regular idle with more revving. I am stuck and was wondering if maybe the battery is the culprit? Not sure and I’m not a mechanic just. A DYI guy trying to save some money while I’m out of work because of COVID. So anyone’s help is very appreciated
- Some states, including Texas, allows a vehicle to pass inspection with one Monitor NOT set. Have you considered having all the Monitors fall in line, then without shutting your Pac off, cruise into an Inspection Station and take care of business. I have used this method on my Pac for years, as needed. Also use it on a FrankinTruck which always has the CEL on.

Quick Reply: 2005 Pacifica 3.5 killing me