Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica rear tires lean in at top

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Default 2005 Pacifica rear tires lean in at top

Hello everyone first time using this forum so I hope I am placing this in the correct spot!

Here are the specs:
2005 Chrysler Pacifica Touring FWD 3.8L

I had to replace the rear hub recently (not fun getting the old one off), and after I replaced the tire, I noticed a slight tilt to the tire. (Negative camber from my understanding). I checked and the other side is tilting about the same amount. Tires are starting to wear on the inside about 2" in.

From what I have read the suspension (self leveling shock absorbers) could be bad OR the springs could be shot as well.

My question is how can I tell what is wrong with either of these things? Can I do it without having to drop the spring or the shock off of the vehicle? And lastly if I do have to do the shocks, I am seriously considering used ones (from a junk yard) due to cost. Can I drop the arm enough to be able to put the new (used) shock in without compressing it somehow?

I appreciate any help for this broke novice!

Dan

Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM

you might want to check the alignment....yes all 4 wheels this will be a good place to start..could be way out,,have you hit a curb,pothole road debris?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bctravelguy
you might want to check the alignment....yes all 4 wheels this will be a good place to start..could be way out,,have you hit a curb,pothole road debris?
It is my wife's car, so who knows what she has ran over, Im still trying to get her to come to a complete stop before shifting out of reverse let alone avoid potholes! hah

It is going in for an alignment on Monday for the front, ( I put new outer tie rod ends on it), so I called up the guys and asked them to take a look at it. After I got home last night I tried to bounce on the back end and it seemed pretty sturdy yet so I am thinking you may be right and I was on the wrong track with the suspension. We live in an area with horrendous train track crossings, as well as numerous potholes (upper midwest), could that have whacked BOTH tires out like that?

I really appreciate your help considering no one else seemed to take up the topic!