Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Pacifica drivetrain/transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Default 2006 Pacifica drivetrain/transmission noise

I know it's hard to diagnose a noise on the internet, but I'm going to try my best to explain what I am hearing. I'm quite sure I'm not the only person that this has happened to. maybe someone with a similar problem will chime in.
My wife told me that there is a metal on metal type of sound coming from the front of the car on hard right turns. I took the car out, didn't hear anything. Took her out for our anniversary that was 2.5 hours away from home. heard nothing, drove all the way back home, and the last right turn I made coming into our subdivision I heard the noise. It's definitely a metal on metal sound. Instantly I thought it was the CV axle on the driver side. So the next day I jacked the car up and looked over the front end. Pulled out the axle, didn't seem bad, so I took it to a axle place to get it checked and repacked with grease. Installed it along with new OEM swaybar bushings, and a out tie rod and the noise is still there. I drove it into work to bring it to a general mechanic shop and nothing I could do would make this noise happen. I sat in the parking lot with the wheel locked and made 10 full turns both ways and nothing. I can say it's not a wheel bearing, axle, swaybar or tie rod. I am at a loss of what it can be. When it does happen, it only happens on right turns (but not all the time). And the sound is like a metal version of a hockey card on the spokes of your bicycle. I'm thinking it's something inside the transmission because when it happens and I have come to a stop, I can hear something faintly humming from movement, but with the car stopped, the metal noise is gone because the car isn't in motion. Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas as to what it could be? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Just to add to this. The transmission shifts nice, the car drives very smooth, no rattles or clunks.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Found it. It was a brake pad on the passenger side gracing the rotor slightly when it got hot on a hard right turn.