Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 pacifica started by itself!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Question 2006 pacifica started by itself!!

I just bought my daughter an 06 Pacifica with 60K yesterday (2/26) and she just called and said it started by itself!!. We are the 4th owners the last being a wholesaler who bought it as a repo. Carfax came up clean and showed it as a base model with a few options like front pwr seats, pwr sport mirrors, 6 changer CD, radio control on steering wheel and cruise control. NO REMOTE START option. What's the deal. The key fob has 4 buttons (hatch unlock x2, door lock, door unlock and panic). The first time it started she was standing by the car with her key in her hand and it just started. Scared the crap out of her! The second time she shook her keys and it started. My son has a nissan with remote start and knew how to stop the engine by pressing the brake. I had them try to start it with his key but no go. We have not been able to recreate the malfunction at home either. Is it possible the carfax is wrong, vehicle has the remote start option with a non-original, reprogrammed key and she somehow squeezed it or pressed a series of buttons? We are quite vexed and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Carfax is notorious for being wrong. Why not go back tot he selling dealer and ask then what is up. I am not sure what components are involved with the auto start so I can't tell you where to look Maybe someone here will chime in.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 PM

While Mopar makes an OEM remote start, it is an aftermarket dealer/owner install item so her car either has that or another aftermarket brand. In other words, they may offer it on new models now, but I don't think it was a factory option in '06. Here is an install guide for the OEM starter that you could use to identify if the car is equipped as such. If you do not have the OEM starter your local after market stereo/starter shop should at least be able to identify which you have and perhaps help you get the appropriate fob so you can use it.

EDIT: the file is too large to upload the whole thing. Here is a picture of the Mopar starter antenna, and a view into a fuse panel on the left hand dash end panel. The fuses in the picture come with the kit and must be installed - i.e. they will not be there before starter install. Hope it helps

Attached Thumbnails 2006 pacifica started by itself!!-mopar-antenna.jpg   2006 pacifica started by itself!!-mopar-ii.jpg  

Last edited by busboy4; 02-28-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: edit text
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanks, great advice and I know that has to be the case one way or another. A car just does not start itself with the driver standing outside with the keys in hand. It trully freaked my daughter out, especially when it happened a second time. She was shaking her keys when that happened. BTW, I tried to look at the pics you sent, when i double click the site takes me to a page that tells me I do not have priviliges to view the page. I also tried to "save target as" on the photos but it wants to save an .htm file instead of a jpg. Is there some way to view photos on this site? I'm a new member and still feeling my way around. Also, any suggestions on a good repair/tips site to use for Pacificas? We are very excited about the car and I feel she is safe in it. Thanks again

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 AM

Hi,

Try clicking on userCP at the top of the page. Then select edit options and scroll down to thread display options and make sure "show images" is selected. Other than that I'm not sure what would stop you from seeing the image as it is there and "click-able" on my screen. As to your question on a repair site, this is the only one I have seen that has much if any activity. I followed Automotiveforums.com with another of my vehicles and the activity was very high. But the Pacifica forum there is hardly used.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Have you looked at pacificaworld.com?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Hello - I just purchased a used 2005 touring and had this happen to me today. I have not been able to recreate it. Any advice? Also I am not able to see the images posted. I get a message saying I do not have the rights.