Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Locks and unlocks repeatedly by itself!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Default Locks and unlocks repeatedly by itself!

2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited.

I recently was driving my minivan and the doors started unlocking over and over by itself. Sometimes it would hangup where it would keep unlocking over and over back to back. Other times it would unlock once every now and then. Once I got it home, I noticed it switched to locking all by itself randomly, to the point that it killed the battery. This was observed whether the vehicle was driving, idling, parked, or even sitting without the key.

I had the battery checked and it was completely fine according to the software that the shop used. The battery was less than a year old anyway.

I did some research. I pulled the IOD fuse, and replaced it. Didn't help. I switched off all autolock/unlock features in the overhead. Didn't help. I took off the front door panels and disconnected each of the actuators. I tried each individually, and it would still lock/unlock the other randomly. I currently have both plugged back in and it continues the problem, and killing the battery.

I have no issues with the alarm at this point.

So, with it not being a consistant issue with unlock vs. locking, does it sound like the BCM? Im not getting any codes, and the vehicle drives and operates fine.

Also, if I track down a replacement BCM, what should I expect to have to do to get it installed and it work correctly? Programming by dealer?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

unplug the door lock switches not the actuators

Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM

The door lock switches, as in the interior handles with the switches on them? Or is there another lock switch in the door?

I've read all kinds of stuff about switches in these vans, I am just unsure which switch.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

the same switch that U use to lock and unlock them eclectically do one at a time this will eliminate if one is causing it to do this .

Old 01-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Ok ill give that a shot next. Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Default Lock & unlocks itself 2002 town & country

I have a 2002 Town and Country...I noticed while sitting in my car that the car was unlocking and locking all by itself...Please advice and my worries is that it will drain my battery. Also thought it was wierd at the end of the day I would lock my car and in the morning it would be unlocked...it wasnt until i sat and saw and it does this while driving as well. What could the problem be.