Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2008 Chrysler Pacifica keeps stalling or looses RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 PM

Good luck. Everything that you will try to solve the issue will be all educated guessing, and I am afraid at your cost. But can you put a price on you or your loved ones life?

Next time when someone tells you its the throttle body, or the wiring, or the transmission, or the computer, or (enter your guess here). Ask them if that doesn't solve the problem and my pacifica once again stalls, that they will gladly reimburse you for your repair bill. See what happens!

You might get lucky and one of those guesses cures your stalling issue.

Like I said 4 different garages couldn't find the issue and these were 2 different Chrysler dealerships, a Mr. Goodwrench, and reputable garage.

Again I changed out my EGR and the stalling stopped or slowed down drastically.

Good luck! Keep me informed because even though my car is sold the stalling issue will always be in the back of my mind...

Old 12-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Default More "solutions" to the stalling saga

My Pacifica stalled out again as my daughter was driving to work. She, as always, was able to start it up again and took it to a local garage that has done oil changes for the car. Latest opinion:
" engine is burning oil and this may be due to a broken head gasket"
This is now the latest proposal to explain why the car stalls.

Anyone hear this explanation before?

The rest of the latest diagnosis was that the cost of removing the engine to check the broken gasket would be astronomical.

Comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Anne727 not sure how much oil you pacifica "burns" but is it to the point there is smoke coming out of the exhaust? Are you having to put more oil than usual in the car between oil changes?

Again ask your garage that is recommending the repair if they will reimburse the repair costs if the car stalls again after the expensive repair! I know no garage that would accept those terms but it always interesting how they wiggle out of throwing your money at their guess on solving the stalling issues.

I don't believe a leaking head gasket would cause an engine to stall. Your leaking head gasket would typically leave a oil puddle under your parked car, or make your car run rough. NOT STALL THE CAR!

Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Default Latest plan

I researched the following on Google:
"What are the possible causes of a car stalling?

As you might imagine, a number of possibilities were offered. I'm creating a list of the causes and bringing the car and the Google list and the previous diagnosis in a list tomorrow to a non Chrysler service station that is a distance from where I live but I've had some repair work done by them in the past. They seem to be honest and competent so I'll see what they say about the other "diagnosis" (engine mounts, burning oil, weak battery, broken gasket, Egr valve, etc.........).

I will certainly report back!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:04 PM

Good luck and please keep me updated on what they do, and if it cures the issue of stalling.

Please don't think I am trying to lower the mentality of many many good mechanics. Most are very good at what they do. I am more placing the almost unsolvable stalling issue on these pacificas.

There are hundreds of complaints about pacificas stalling, but no real pattern on solving the issue! I think that is why Chrysler hasn't offered a fix and believe me they are aware of the complaints.

So remember your list to solve the stalling issues will consist of dirt throttle body, bad throttle body, bad motor mounts, faulty wiring, cam shaft position sensor, bad EGR, dirty EGR, and "D" all-of-above!
Again good luck!

Old 11-20-2020, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Korb
Stalls while driving but seems to only happen in cold weather. Usually starts right up after stalling but on one occasion, it wouldn't restart immediately. But by time AAA got to me, it started right up and I was able to drive to dealer. Dealer and local shop have both said there were no codes to explain what happened and they didn't know what to do to repair. Has anyone found a solution? Did the PCM programming fix it? Thanks
Mine seems to be doing the same in colder Temps below 55ish degrees.. i had the vehicle about a week before it done it the first time and every time its done it its been in the morning when its cold out. Makes no sense and dangerous