Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2021 Pacifica Hybrid Battery HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 10:25 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. Bought the 2021 PHEV Pacifica about 6 months ago. Have approx 5k miles on the battery, 2k on gas. About a week ago I started the car with a full battery and the gas engine kicked on. The battery did not drain at all and the check engine light came on. Hard to tell for sure, but it feels like the gas engine is running rougher than it did previously. Over the last week the car only operated in electric mode sporadically. To my knowledge, we have not had a cooling system leak.

We also have to have our infotainment system replaced due to a fault (randomly freezes, seizes, all sorts of fun stuff) and also addressed the failure with the rear liftgate button.

Lemon law suit coming soon?

Old 11-18-2021, 09:07 AM

Im an old school 2008 Pacifica owner. From what Ive read online in other forums about the new hybrid "Chrysler Town and Country Minivans" is when they sit for long periods of time - the hybrid battery tend to wear and the stealerships are not properly trained on how to maintain them - when they are just sitting on the lot.

Do you know how long the vehicle sat on the stealership lot before you purchased the vehicle? I have read in other hybrid forums that there are periodic maintainace precedures that must be followed to keep the hybrid batterry in top form. The hybrid battery is interconnected to every electronic component system in the vehicle. If one sensor - comonent or chip "sneezes or coughs" the entire system catches a "code".

I believe Chrysler knew this hybrid battery system is flawed and decided to give consumers a 10yr hybrid battery warranty.

From my 40 years of experience Ive learned...the stealership "service technicians" of today are NOT mechanics. They are NOT trained to "repair" - they are only trained to "replace and sell".

Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 PM

Anytime you buy a vehicle that is relatively low-volume (and modern hybrids fit into that category) you can assume they will be more expensive to repair/maintain when they get older. When you introduce the battery which is a unique component to vehicles nowadays and the fact that they are evolving so rapidly (in a good way!), you throw in another cost curveball. The same Pacifica battery they put in the hybrids today, will likely not be the same battery they put into tomorrow's hybirds and fully electric vehicles, because the technology is evolving that rapidly. I'd take this into consideration if you plan to make this a long term vehicle. So your battery will probably have a short model run, without huge demand, which will make it more challenging to find a cost effective replacement in the future, is how I see it.

I have nothing against hybrids / electric vehicles and am excited that the technology is progressing and they might one day be affordable for a family like mine. It took 100 years for internal combustion engines to get where they are today; electric / hybrid / batteries have a long way to go and ARE the future, IMO. But realize if you buy one today, you might be in for a surprise 15-20 years down the road, should you keep it that long, unless you buy a model that sells in large volumes, or you happen to have a battery that is used in multiple vehicles.

That said, it may very well last the 10-15 years you expect to get out of it.. But it's a bit of a gamble because Chrysler/Stellantis(?) hasn't been putting hybrids together nowhere near as long as Toyota has; there's bound to be growing pains, but the technology is halfway mature-- so hopefully they did it right, but hoping and knowing are two different things.

Last edited by quakerj; 11-28-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Default Ditto! Battery issue! At the dealer today. I have been dealing with it for over a

Originally Posted by shoemakb
I'm in the same boat as you. Bought the 2021 PHEV Pacifica about 6 months ago. Have approx 5k miles on the battery, 2k on gas. About a week ago I started the car with a full battery and the gas engine kicked on. The battery did not drain at all and the check engine light came on. Hard to tell for sure, but it feels like the gas engine is running rougher than it did previously. Over the last week the car only operated in electric mode sporadically. To my knowledge, we have not had a cooling system leak.

We also have to have our infotainment system replaced due to a fault (randomly freezes, seizes, all sorts of fun stuff) and also addressed the failure with the rear liftgate button.

Lemon law suit coming soon?
We're having the same issues 2021 purchased in July.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:16 AM

Same issue here exactly

Old 03-21-2022, 01:20 PM

Just came across this forum/thread. I am having a similar issues with my 2021 Pacifica. Purchased right around the beginning of 2021. Have owned the car almost a year now, only have about 6,000 miles on it. Yesterday the car up and died. Driving it around town, went into turtle mode. We were at a park and backed out of a parking spot, then it died. Wouldn't go into drive, wouldn't even let me go into neutral. We were stuck in the middle of a parking lot until the tow truck came. There is no neutral release strap on the hybrids. 2+ weeks before the dealer even has time to take a look at it. Talked to a service tech on the phone, the outlook is not great at best. Fingers crossed we don't end up with months of paying for a new car we can't drive.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:56 AM

Our 2021 Pacifica hybrid is still at the dealer after 43 days. The van just stopped working. Said service charging system or something like that. The Technician recommended a new battery, but corporate has not approved the STAR case to order one yet.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:57 AM

Note: our van was 11 months old when it stopped working. (Purchased in august 2021). And about 18,000 miles.